Kennels in Trucks.......

TheMorningRise

I have been running around in an SUV for some time. I will be moving into a pick up and I will not have a cap on immediately. I am looking a picking up a Gunner Kennel and was going to ratchet strap it in the bed (all the way in the back, near the cab.

My question is, for those who run pickups without a cap, how do you place your kennels?

Thanks!

I have been running around in an SUV for some time. I will be moving into a pick up and I will not have a cap on immediately. I am looking a picking up a Gunner Kennel and was going to ratchet strap it in the bed (all the way in the back, near the cab.

My question is, for those who run pickups without a cap, how do you place your kennels?

Thanks!

Personally I would not put one of those in the back of a pick up. But if you have to, run it parallel with cab and ratchet it in. Or take a look at a houndsmen deluxe from deer creek.

I have a ruff tough that I place like westksbow mentioned, parallel to the cab of my GMC 1500. I place it more towards the driver side so I don't ever have to hop in it. I can simply walk along the driver side of the truck to open close the kennel door. I ratchet it in. Its rock solid and simple. I wouldn't leave a gunner in the back of my truck. I don't leave the ruff tough back there either because people........yea.

Mine is light enough to very easily transport in and out of the bed. Never saw a gunner in person but they look much heavier?? I have a lease on my truck now but if I owned the it, Id figure a way to chock it and lock it with a DIY permanent mount, plus the straps. FYI...Just got word around here that people are hopping in trucks trying to steal the crates, with the dog!! I live in the NE but Id be careful wherever I lived. Not trying to scare or deter anyone.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I had no intentions of leaving the kennel in the truck permanently (just for the hunt). Its sad that people are stealing crates and dogs. (*#holes!

I have looked at the rough tough and those look excellent as well. I was leaning towards the Gunner simply because I like the looks and heard a great story (with pictures). Guy had 2 of the Gunner's in the bed of his truck. Was involved in a serious accident (totalled the truck). The kennels were scratched up, but not disfigured or damaged and the dogs were fine.

If I was going to buy a plastic crate it would be a Ruff Tuff. Take a look at the Houndsman Deluxe. They will also build you what you want. They are insulated and much safer for the dog. And really not that much more expensive. Mine has the tall doors and is a very big box with extra D rings. With shipping I had about $450 in it. Plastic crates are for SUV's not trucks.

If I was going to buy a plastic crate it would be a Ruff Tuff. Take a look at the Houndsman Deluxe. They will also build you what you want. They are insulated and much safer for the dog. And really not that much more expensive. Mine has the tall doors and is a very big box with extra D rings. With shipping I had about $450 in it. Plastic crates are for SUV's not trucks.

Not to start a this is better or not, but I thought (and may be wrong) the Gunner and Rough Tough were roto-molded, making them much stronger.

The Houndsman, are they more of a permanent type thing as far as being in the bed. Or are they easily removable?

Not to start a this is better or not, but I thought (and may be wrong) the Gunner and Rough Tough were roto-molded, making them much stronger.

The Houndsman, are they more of a permanent type thing as far as being in the bed. Or are they easily removable?

Mine is not all that heavy. My wife and I just take it out if we need to. Deer Creek will make you a single if that is what you want. I just never felt comfortable with something so light and airy in the back with my dogs that I have thousands invested in. Puppies are $1200 and up so the cost of a dog box is minimal. Put one in training for 3 or 4 months and you have $3500 in a dog. Both plastic crates and a quality dog box have their place. If I am going to be staying in a hotel then I take the SUV and plastic crates. Otherwise they are in the warmth of my dog box. Whatever you put in the back of your truck, buy a couple of treestand locks and lock it up. I lock my Houndsmen up plus I have it anchored in.

http://www.deer-creek.org/page5

Mine is not all that heavy. My wife and I just take it out if we need to. Deer Creek will make you a single if that is what you want. I just never felt comfortable with something so light and airy in the back with my dogs that I have thousands invested in. Puppies are $1200 and up so the cost of a dog box is minimal. Put one in training for 3 or 4 months and you have $3500 in a dog. Both plastic crates and a quality dog box have their place. If I am going to be staying in a hotel then I take the SUV and plastic crates. Otherwise they are in the warmth of my dog box. Whatever you put in the back of your truck, buy a couple of treestand locks and lock it up. I lock my Houndsmen up plus I have it anchored in.

http://www.deer-creek.org/page5

I have the treestand locks, lol!

You mention warmth. We are in Wisconsin and I was going to get an insulated cover for the Gunner or Rough Tough. How warm are the Houndsmen (and how cool in the summer)?

Forgot to mention, I added the mud river insulated kennel cover for the cold and a portable fan for warmer days plus a lock for the gate. Now just need to find a better way to lock the kennel itself. Would be nice if I could keep it their as long as I want/need. Id imagine like our tree stands and cameras, a thief that's wants it will still get it??

Mine is warm. Check out the link I sent you. You can have extra vents put in but I did not. They can put in the extra rings, I did, to make it easier to lock into your truck. Double wall construction and 3/4 inch foam insulation.

Thanks!

I have two Ruff Tough kennels that I ratchet strap side by side all the way back to forward part of the box. Nice feature about the Ruff Tough kennels is that I can open the kennel doors from either
side of each kennel and so I reach over the the box and open the kennel and like wise from the other side.

Toppers (caps) are a dime a dozen on craigslist. If you shop around and don't mind a drive you will likely find one for your truck cheap. I got a ARE with vented windoors for a couple hundred, and the color matched.:thumbsup:

Personally I would not put one of those in the back of a pick up. But if you have to, run it parallel with cab and ratchet it in. Or take a look at a houndsmen deluxe from deer creek.

I'm anything but an expert...but I think your dog is in danger in ANY box, crate, in the cab etc because they don't wear seat belts. I picture them in there looking like four legged crash dummies in a serious collision. I wouldn't want to bounce off the wall of a houndsmen at 50 mph. They LOOK a lot more professional than mine, and if I used mine all the time I'd have one or build one myself.

I have a plastic one for now with the mud river cover...I feel like that mud river cover strapped down will keep my dog inside and some what cradled like a straight jacket in the event we make a sudden stop that throws it and breaks the plastic..I have not tested the breaking strength of that cover but I'm certain i could lift several hundred pounds with it. I strap it down with nice heavy straps right next to the tailgate. I feel like that way in an abrupt stop, that cover will be able to stretch/elongate a little without hitting anything solid. Also, I can drop my tailgate and let her out quite easily.
I really don't like that I can't lock mine though. I really like the Gunner Kennels for that reason.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, only defending those of us who roll this way. I've put a lot of thought into this. I certainly hope I never have to experience a serious impact with my girl in any truck.

I'm anything but an expert...but I think your dog is in danger in ANY box, crate, in the cab etc because they don't wear seat belts. I picture them in there looking like four legged crash dummies in a serious collision. I wouldn't want to bounce off the wall of a houndsmen at 50 mph. They LOOK a lot more professional than mine, and if I used mine all the time I'd have one or build one myself.

I have a plastic one for now with the mud river cover...I feel like that mud river cover strapped down will keep my dog inside and some what cradled like a straight jacket in the event we make a sudden stop that throws it and breaks the plastic..I have not tested the breaking strength of that cover but I'm certain i could lift several hundred pounds with it. I strap it down with nice heavy straps right next to the tailgate. I feel like that way in an abrupt stop, that cover will be able to stretch/elongate a little without hitting anything solid. Also, I can drop my tailgate and let her out quite easily.
I really don't like that I can't lock mine though. I really like the Gunner Kennels for that reason.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, only defending those of us who roll this way. I've put a lot of thought into this. I certainly hope I never have to experience a serious impact with my girl in any truck.

Actually I was not even referring to a crash. I am thinking more in terms of taking a 400 plus mile trip with the temps around zero and the dog in a plastic crate with a blanket wrapped around it versus a double walled box with 3/4 foam insulation. Not to mention vents which can be closed. Then you have rain soaking the covers. No comparison in my opinion. I have done the plastic crates with covers in the past, never again. Like I said, the plastic crates are for SUV's and crate training. Actually I use my plastic crates all the time but when it comes to transporting, I am using my dog box. I will say the Gunner kennels seem to be very well made but the price is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about that cover getting soaked and freezing? Gonna have to address that in the event it happens.

My Lab did a 12 hr ride both ways with temps in teens last January...opened that cover and steam rolled out. You could smell the heat coming off of her. But the cover never got wet. I think wet in itself would be fine...but if it got soaked and froze? That would be less than ideal.

Points well taken. Thinking about building my own Houndsmen just in case I see bad weather coming.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about that cover getting soaked and freezing? Gonna have to address that in the event it happens.

My Lab did a 12 hr ride both ways with temps in teens last January...opened that cover and steam rolled out. You could smell the heat coming off of her. But the cover never got wet. I think wet in itself would be fine...but if it got soaked and froze? That would be less than ideal.

Points well taken. Thinking about building my own Houndsmen just in case I see bad weather coming.

I don't know if you could build one much cheaper than you can buy one.

Never really thought this was an issue till last fall. I was passing a couple of semi's in south dakota after a long day hunting. The dogs were in the back in regular cheap plastic crates. As I pulled in front of the semi one of the crates flipped on edge and slammed into my rear window of the truck! The pressure from going around the semi lifted the 45 pound dog and crate and almost tossed it out of the truck! I was mortified! I pulled over, the dog was fine but I learned a valuable lesson. I now have two ruff-tuff kennels and they are always strapped into my truck. Whatever you do even if they are inside a topper I would strap them down in case of an accident.

Back