KC Royals

KsHusker

I've been a fan since I was a tyke thanks to my dad -- was 5 yrs old when they won the WS -- only have a vague memory from that time in that I think I remember the game being on in the living room on TV -- so would have had to been broadcast on ABC, CBS or NBC at the time.

Anyways, I've watched probably parts of around 120-140 games if I had to venture a guess this season and probably listened to some of the others partially on the radio. Spent way too much time in front of the tv watching them but oh well - it's been a magical season - if I was retired Id have no problem having a condo in KC and getting season tix during the season and spending most of my time there.

But another magical win last night. Hoping Yost doesnt make some more questionable decisions and for those of you watching, hoping the prognosis is good for Kelvin Hererra, if they have to replace him on the ALDS roster and they move on the ALCS he wouldnt be able to play again unless they make it to the WS.

They've far exceeded my expectations -- I just hope this is not a once every 29yr occurrence. So nice to watch them play meaningful baseball - though if you want to watch a game in person it does make the cost go up quite a bit.

Heres to a series win over the Angels then spanking the Orioles or Detroit in the next round. :thumbsup: :cheers:

Yep that would have been on one of the 3 major broadcast channels as I don't believe ESPN was around back then. Although where I lived we didn't have cable and sat TV was not invented yet either.

They were good in the late 70's until 85 when they won the WS. Back then they had some outstanding players!

It was during the height of my baseball playing, back when I ate, drank and slept baseball. Nowadays, I don't even watch it. I didn't even know they were in the playoffs until right before the first game.

I hope they can take it all the way. There is an entire generation that has been born, grown up, have kids, and are yet to see the Royals in a playoff game. Thats a sad thing lol

Yup KSHusker, I too turned 5 in 85. Bret Saberhagen baseball cards were among my earliest prized-possessions. Regardless of what sport was in season, I always cheered for the home team. It didn't matter what their record was, I was a fan. That said, a 29yr cycle is way too long. After about 10 years its time to consider dumping an entire program on its head and starting from scratch! For now, my boys and I will revel and bask in the moment. My wife is trying to get on the bandwagon, after years of rooting for St. Louis and bashing the Royals, but we're not making room for her;):D

I also was 5 when they won the World Series, vaguely remember some of it even though grandpa always was listening to their regular season on the radio. I always follow the standings, listen on the radio when driving somewhere and a game is on, but never a die hard fan. Have watched more this year than the last 20 years combined.

Of course I fell asleep last night after 10, only to wake up and see we were up 3-2 going into the Angel's batting.

I was 10 in 85 watching at my grandparents, I remember the whole house just going crazy, the parade in the following day, and it being all over the cover of the morning and evening editions of the Kansas City Star and Times. It has been some rough years waiting this long. My wife and I are both teachers and we live for Royal's baseball in the summer, we spend many a nights at the ball yard with our family. I kind of enjoyed going to the stadium with hardly no one there and just putting my feet up, drinking a beer and eating peanuts. It has been a little tougher the last 2 years to buy tickets on the cheap, but I will take higher ticket prices for winning baseball, and electric crowds. I am really hoping we can get a win in Anaheim tonight, so we have 2 chances to win the ALDS at home. I just keep finding myself shaking my head and grinning from ear to ear in happiness and disbelief. This team is gutsy for sure, and has made watching baseball in Kansas City both meaningful and fun again. GO ROYAL'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aoki was a godsend last night. Couple plays that sure were big time!!

I was 7 in 85. We are die hard cardinal fans. Dad has a brother who moved to KC in the 70s. He crossed over and became a Royals fan when Whitey was doing his thing there. Anyway, he scored a couple of last minute Game 6 tickets in '85. Dad says he remembers standing up in the ninth thinking "i'm going to see the redbirds win the world series"

He got to see "the call" instead.

I would love to see another I70 series.

What an exciting inning. The rest of the game, ho hum. Puts me to sleep.

Great to see them win!

darn time flies..... I was 33 in 85 I am really feeling like a old fart lately

Don't feel too bad bobman, I was 39 in '85 and I know the "old fart" feeling all too well. :)

Go Cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What was that umps name again. Hmmmmm deacon? no. Deekinney? no. Oh I remember it was Dekinger. That's right. Gawd I loved that guy in '85:thumbsup::10sign::cheers:.

BTW I was 22 in '85 and drunk in a bar watching the Royals SMOKE the Cardinals in game 7.

Go Cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, yes, the ubiquitous Cry-Baby Birds, whose distinctive "cheat, cheat" and "waaaaaah" calls can be heard every October! Known mostly for they're whining, self-aggrandizement, and sticking their beaks where they don't belong.

Revive '85. May the best town win (again).

Last edited:
That's right 11 WS rings to...... oh yeah we gave the poor Royals one. Pure envy, guys get over yourselves. Lucky they didn't have replay in that one. But hey who's to say that it won't be another 29 years. For sure it won't be the Cardinals. Cheater?....waaah.....etc... Did you see the Dodgers?

I loved your statement, "every October" Quite the trend setters aren't they. Bet you'd like that. But then again the Royals won't ever be attached to that.

Like I said before: Go Cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Wasn't that the Royals coach who was complaining about the crowds a month ago? Speaking of "fair weather" Heeheee!!! you guys are funny.

Go Royals

I was 27 in 1985, one of my former students posted that if the Royals go 6-6 the rest of year they will be WS champs that is hard to belive. With a 2-0 lead in the ACLS it seems so colse but it is still so far away. My second MLB game I remember was Royals bat day in 1969. I wish I still had that bat.

Speaking of "crybaby" cardinals fans. I am in St Louis watching the Giants. The Cardinals fans were as pleasant as could be to us last night at the game. Many of them came up to us and asked where we traveled from and talked about the playoffs.

Outside the stadium there was a huge TV set up in an open air bar area. The Royals game was on it. We stood there and watched the game for a half hour or so. Just about every Cardinals fan was cheering wildly for the Royals. In talking with Cardinals fans I thought it was really funny how many of them really wanted the Royals to win, in order to "avenge" the bad call in 85. 11 World Championships and they are still hung up on that call.

We talked to some fans to that just wanted to see the Royals win since it had been so long, who seemed to hold no ill will over the 85 series. But it was Funny how many brought that call up.

It was a lot of fun to see Bumgarner dominate last night, that guy is a beast.

In talking with Cardinals fans I thought it was really funny how many of them really wanted the Royals to win, in order to "avenge" the bad call in 85. 11 World Championships and they are still hung up on that call.

1. It was a make-up call. The NL umpire at second called Frank White out on a steal in the 3rd. The next batter blooped a single to right that would have scored him.

2. Jorge Orta NEVER SCORED. He was thrown out at 3rd, so it had no affect on the score, though it sure did rattle the poor little birdies cage...

3. GAME 7.

You would think the self-proclaimed "best fans in baseball" would know enough about the game to know that kind of stuff, but perhaps it is difficult for them to remember all the minutia of the actual game. They sure seem to have forgotten Gene Kulpa calling Matt holiday safe at 1st in game 3 of the 2011 series...

Hey, How Bout Them KC Blue Boyz Now!
6th Inning BEATDOWN with a Big Stick in World Series Game Two...
#KeepOnDancingCINDARELLA :cheers:

Back