KC area gunsmiths?

ness

I've got an 1950's vintage Superposed 12 gauge that belonged to my dad. It's in great shape, and is a pretty dang special gun to me. It will be passed on to one of my sons at some point. Last time I was out it just wouldn't fire. Yes, the safety was off. I moved the safety on and off, and left and right for the barrel selector but nothing worked. I don't think I want to open it up myself.

I talked with the guys at Simmons in Olathe briefly -- they've been around for ever. How about them? West or south side of KC would work best.

I drive a long ways just to take my guns to Simmons if that tells you anything. Always takes a while but they know what they're doing, especially on older model guns.

Don't have any experience with Simmons, but I have sen the sign. However, I have used Michael Alee for several things. He's decent. He's located on Johnson Drive between I-35 and the state line. I know how to drive there, but I can't give you an exact address. Like a lot of gunsmiths, he's a lot better at working on guns than he is at running a business. His hours, while consistent, are inconvenient. He's only open for several hours on about half of the days of the week. The rest of the time he's closed to the public "to get the work done".

With an old Superposed with sentimental value I might consider the drive to Augusta and have Michael Murphy & Sons do the work.

The guy in mission is good. North side right in the heart of mission Johnson drive and Robinson I believe will get you close. Simmons is good too, but seems to take forever.

With an old Superposed with sentimental value I might consider the drive to Augusta and have Michael Murphy & Sons do the work.

Michael Murphy wont do the work - it will be the gunsmith upstairs who's been there forever and runs a separate business.

If you want your gun back in this century DO NOT take it there. I think the guy only wants to focus on stock work at the moment. He'll never answer his phone and it's hard to catch him around, much less get him to work on your gun. Last experience I had with him was 2 yrs ago - I had dropped off my Browning Gold in April or May ( I actually think I dropped if off a month or two earlier as it was cold out when I dropped it off) - as of Nov/Dec that same year he still had it and did nothing with it - only after I tried calling more frequently and then started raising holy hell with the actual Michael Murphy business downstairs did he complete it. It was for something relatively simple as well, however it was mechanical in nature and not stock related.

They provided me the name of a gunsmith they've dealt with in Wichita that per them is more reliable and works on the mechanical side of things a lot quicker. Says he could pick up your gun at Michael Murphy's if you prefer to leave it there or you could go to his house in Wichita. I've since tossed the card but DO NOT go to Greenwood upstairs unless you want stock work done.

Last edited:
I've got an 1950's vintage Superposed 12 gauge that belonged to my dad. It's in great shape, and is a pretty dang special gun to me. It will be passed on to one of my sons at some point. Last time I was out it just wouldn't fire. Yes, the safety was off. I moved the safety on and off, and left and right for the barrel selector but nothing worked. I don't think I want to open it up myself.

I talked with the guys at Simmons in Olathe briefly -- they've been around for ever. How about them? West or south side of KC would work best.

PM me I have a few leads for you.

Thanks for the replies -- I dropped it off at Simmons over lunch. They thought 4 to 6 weeks, which didn't thrill me, but hey -- I need my gun fixed.

Well, I got my gun back from Simmons today. Total cost $43. The guy told me they looked it over and fired six shots through it, and all was good. When I questioned him on what might have been the problem, he thought maybe just opening it up dislodged something that was causing the problem, or that he might have cleaned it up some fixing the problem. Not a great answer, but that's all he had.

So, next time, I'm going to be wondering if the gun is right, and I'll take a backup. Not all that thrilled with the outcome. It all may be great, but a little better explanation would have been appreciated.

Gunsmith

Simmons does good work. I usually use Doug Coffman of Lawrence because he's closer, cheaper, and won't sell you parts you don't need. He's getting along in years but a real gem.

Back