Kansas vs South Dakota

KansasGsp

Been debating something for a few weeks now, figured I'd see what your guys thoughts are. I have family ground in SW Kansas that we've (4 buddies and I) always hunted during opening weekend. Last year we hunted on public ground in a different part of the state due to the bird numbers in the SW part of the state. We had a good weekend, shot some birds but got tired of fighting the crowds. This year we're debating heading to South Dakota during the Kansas opener. Never figured the thought would cross my mind, but not heading out West again due to bird numbers and not sure I want to fight crowds again on public ground. Got a 4 day weekend that week and it'd be a good time to head North. Not sure how I feel about missing the Kansas opener, always been my favorite day of the year. Should we just suck it up and fight the crowds??? Thanks

HA! We're doing just that. Well, kinda:rolleyes:

We are hunting opening day in KS with very close friends. I'm not interested in hunting a 2nd day of 80 degree temps and no action, but I ain't missin' the first day with my KS brethren. SO, as soon as we're done hunting on opening day, we're headed north:cheers:

Last edited:
I got turned off of early season public a few years ago in western kansas. Too many chasing too few. I know its all about friends, family and who cares if we get any birds. Blah.....blah......blah tell it to your priest. I enjoy good friends and family as much as the rest, but my dog gets bored, the kids get bored, and I get bored when I hunt for two or three days and don't even have a hen get up in range. Go north. Nothing worse than trudging through 80 degree heat and not seeing anything. At least in SD the threat of pheasants will be there. You will see some even if you can't hunt there, it will get you going.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm starting to agree and pretty sure we'll head North. Last year was the first time I hunted the opener on public ground and it was way worse (crowd wise) than I ever imagined. I know you all have these stories as well, but I couldn't believe the lack of manners some of these guys had. Had our truck at a field an hour and a half before first light and a truck pulled up 100 yards away 10 minutes before light and got out and started walking the same field we were waiting at. That was pretty much how the whole opening weekend went last year. Again, thanks for the input.

That's depressing. Thankfully most of the guys like that are done "hunting" and I use that term loosely, after opening weekend and for sure after Thanksgiving weekend.

I don't blame you for wanting to go North. Your experience is why I don't go West opening weekend.

I stick around the house that weekend and if the weather is nice I go get in on some fall bass fishing action.

Right now North Dakota is better than either KS or SD.

I'd agree that parts of North Dakota yes, but in South Dakota's case good to great bird numbers are more wide spread through a larger portion of the state compared to North Dakota.

Would you agree?

Yep I would agree widespread. But access is much easier and much more diversity. And a lot less people. One thing I hate to see when hunting, is other hunters and people in general.

Yep I would agree widespread. But access is much easier and much more diversity. And a lot less people. One thing I hate to see when hunting, is other hunters and people in general.

All true about ND^^^^ I have the luck to have a cousin that lives in the best part of the state with access to great ground. Tree row hunting with a pointing dog, :D!

Back