Kansas Update

Day 2:
Well, the rain moved out around 0800. Hunted a couple different walk ins and found 2 covey of quail ranging 15-20 birds a piece. Winds were a sustained 25-30 with gust up to 50mph. Time to feed and water dogs!

My best day ever on Pheasants was in Kansas. Wind was blowing steady at 40 mph. I found some shoulder high cover and it was next to a cut corn field. I ran my dog awhile so she would hunt extremely close. Here we go into cover, she was working the grass and I was parallel to her. She would point and I would point to her to move up. The only shot I had was when the bird was at the top of his rise, right before he caught the wind. 4 birds got up and 4 shots put them on the ground. The stars lined up for us. That dog has been gone for at least 6 or 7 years.

Last edited:
what a day….. started out with one of the males, Tom, getting cut on a barbed wire fence. While waiting for the vet to stitch him up we decided to go hit a few random walk ins. Tripp hammers down on a covey of probably 30. We leave go get Tom from the vet $144 for knocking him out to put five staples in. One dog down…… then we get Lucy and Tripp out. Managed to get into some more birds at a different place. It starts to get dark and we head to the cabin. Get to the cabin stake the dogs out, feed and water. As their eating notice something on Lucy. She has a nice gash on her arm. Call the vet (after hours) and she said meet you there in ten. Some gas and seven stitches to the tune of $142.

Wind sucked, but seen a ton of quail. Still only seen the two pheasant from the first day. If anyone needs a vet in Russell or Downs holler at me they were fantastic and didn’t bend us over because we were from out of town. Headed back home tomorrow. Got a female ready to be bred. If anyone is looking for a pointer check us out at Tripleegundogs.com I’m Michael and my number is on there. God bless and thank you all who helped out to make this trip a success!

17929538-A1D4-4C9E-85EC-07E99F0D247A.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DDF0C12-2787-49DC-939E-03D3FCC8093B.jpeg
    1DDF0C12-2787-49DC-939E-03D3FCC8093B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 977C7AC9-3BEA-4030-96D3-174F94D4E6B8.jpeg
    977C7AC9-3BEA-4030-96D3-174F94D4E6B8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
we got a round of antibiotics started hopefully get them out in 14 days
My lab got spurred by a rooster that was doing its death kick in a very similar location high on her leg, and it must have ripped open the wound just right. It looked a lot like the wounds you have posted here. I posted about it in the local Minnesota thread when it occurred about a month ago. Had the exact same orders from the vet: 10-14 days the staples can come out, and immediately started her on antibiotics. The staples came out 12 days after they went in, and I took her hunting 3 days later, on day 15.

The key with those wounds and staples is to make sure the dog isn't running around and jumping while its healing. Mine costed about 240 bucks after the meds were added to the bill.

My lab got spurred by a rooster that was doing its death kick in a very similar location high on her leg, and it must have ripped open the wound just right. It looked a lot like the wounds you have posted here. I posted about it in the local Minnesota thread when it occurred about a month ago. Had the exact same orders from the vet: 10-14 days the staples can come out, and immediately started her on antibiotics. The staples came out 12 days after they went in, and I took her hunting 3 days later, on day 15.

The key with those wounds and staples is to make sure the dog isn't running around and jumping while its healing. Mine costed about 240 bucks after the meds were added to the bill.
294E75B7-494B-42E8-923B-43DBDF12A442.jpeg
I thew a chest protector on and hunted five days later, no issues. Pulled stitches at home on day 14

what a day….. started out with one of the males, Tom, getting cut on a barbed wire fence. While waiting for the vet to stitch him up we decided to go hit a few random walk ins. Tripp hammers down on a covey of probably 30. We leave go get Tom from the vet $144 for knocking him out to put five staples in. One dog down…… then we get Lucy and Tripp out. Managed to get into some more birds at a different place. It starts to get dark and we head to the cabin. Get to the cabin stake the dogs out, feed and water. As their eating notice something on Lucy. She has a nice gash on her arm. Call the vet (after hours) and she said meet you there in ten. Some gas and seven stitches to the tune of $142.

Wind sucked, but seen a ton of quail. Still only seen the two pheasant from the first day. If anyone needs a vet in Russell or Downs holler at me they were fantastic and didn’t bend us over because we were from out of town. Headed back home tomorrow. Got a female ready to be bred. If anyone is looking for a pointer check us out at Tripleegundogs.com I’m Michael and my number is on there. God bless and thank you all who helped out to make this trip a success!

View attachment 4838
You got a bargain on the stitches. I got hit for $650 both times my dog has got cut in barbed wire. Emergency vet on a Sunday...IMG_20221106_151922000.jpg

You got a bargain on the stitches. I got hit for $650 both times my dog has got cut in barbed wire. Emergency vet on a Sunday...View attachment 4848
We are very blessed with the service we got. The female who got cut in her elbow joint was only 142 and that was for an after hours visit, stitches, gas, and meds. We thought we was gonna get hammered. Beautiful pointer in your picture btw!

I actually thought they would do the whole anesthesia, stitches, etc thing but they cleaned it up and put 6 surgical staples in there in about 20 minutes and I was on my way.

We are very blessed with the service we got. The female who got cut in her elbow joint was only 142 and that was for an after hours visit, stitches, gas, and meds. We thought we was gonna get hammered. Beautiful pointer in your picture btw!
Thanks he's my first Elhew (had GSP's the last 20 years) I really like him so far, this is his second season. and he's cost me over $1,200 getting stiches hope he learns what barb wire is soon or at least stays out of it on the weekends 😂IMG_20221213_095339837.jpgIMG_20221213_112709692.jpg

Thanks he's my first Elhew (had GSP's the last 20 years) I really like him so far, this is his second season. and he's cost me over $1,200 getting stiches hope he learns what barb wire is soon or at least stays out of it on the weekends 😂View attachment 4856View attachment 4857
Heck yes we love our Elhews…. All 9 of them. We have some of the few that are not crossed with Blackhawk or Fiddler. 100 percent old blood. Great hunting dogs though.

Back