Kansas Hunt

Well we just finished up 2 days of chasing birds. Day 1 was one of the most enjoyable days I've had in the field in a long time. Had a few moments that reminded me of days past. We had 12 to 15 roosters pinned in the edge of a Milo field and we got in range of 4 of them. I had more fun watching my dad and brother n law run around like crazy than I did shooting birds. Field 1 and 2 produced the most and we bagged 6 roosters in those 2 fields. We walked the rest of the day until dark and saw birds the whole time. All the dogs worked great, including the pup. He had many points and we did see 9 or 10 covey's that day. We didn't chase any singles and still managed to shoot 8 quail. Day 1 ended with 8 roosters and 8 quail in the bag between 4 guys and 2 dogs.

Day 2 proved to be very difficult with high winds and mud from the overnight rain. Despite many miles of walking we only shot 2 roosters . We did see more pheasants but they were very wild. Still had a blast and hopeful things can and will get better. I'd guess I saw 80 to 90 pheasants and 12 covey's for the trip. Had a great time and won't give up on wild Kansas roosters. Good luck to all.

What part of the state were you hunting? Sounds like you were in them thick compared to others here. I will be heading out 2nd week of January, looking forward to it

You're one of the few people that I've heard about getting into pheasant. Heading out West next week, we'll see if we can find a few.

I would also like to know what part of the state. Not looking for exact location but since I'm out of action this season, I have been keeping track of bird and trying to chart it.
I'm glad that you had a great hunt, they have been few and far between for most.

I know we always laugh when the state sends out the forecast every year and says "pockets" of birds but it's usually pretty accurate. I've hunted 9 days in Kansas this season so far and have seen roosters every day out. Some fields we have seen impressive numbers despite the conditions broods had to survive in this summer and fall(60+ flushed pheasants on one walk). They are out there folks, hunt for good habitat and you should find birds, it means more windshield time than usual but it's better than nothing, I have a 6 month GSP that needed bird contacts and now she's nailing roosters and coveys. This post wasn't intended to brag or boast but more to give the hunters on here some hope for the rest of the season. BTW one of the fields I've seen piles of birds was in a county that had a serious drop in the brood survey, just found a walk in that had great habitat for rearing chicks.

I’ve shot 10 roosters in Kansas for a 2 bird average. They look and act like last years birds and mostly are 8 of them have been older birds. Still plenty of hens so that’s promising

You can find birds but habitat is key obviously. I have a spot about an hour from the house that once upon a time the entire area was a great mixed bag area. No longer is that the case.

The spot I mentioned always has lots of birds on it but that is one of the only spots in the entire NE region that you can count on seeing birds and lots of them. It is not indicative to the bird numbers in that area at all. It’s an anomaly not the norm.

Back