I've been spurred

1pheas4

Each season I hear stories about how those old wily roosters "spur" a pheasant hunter and/or his dog. I thought I might start a thread posting such photos of our and our dog's spurred wounds:D

The worst for me was in SD a couple years ago when an old rooster sliced the palm of my hand wide open:eek: The gross part is, I kept splitting it open each time I extended my fingers. It took a couple weeks to heal up.

Anyway, I received another one this past week--a spur wound on my arm---it seems to be healing up nicely so it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did the other day.

The spur scares my dog's muzzle and nose were received on our SD trip are just about healed too:thumbsup:

If anyone else has a "spurred" story or two to share with us have at it:)

A rite of passage!

Spurred

One of mine brought back a Rooster with no head. I heard a yelp & some growling. The retrieve was finished with a little spur scratch under one eye & a
mad dog. Apparently he bit the head off after getting spurred while subduing one after a run down on a wounded bird.

Mine deliver all less than dead birds by the back to avoid spurring.

My springer had the softest mouth when I got him, he could retrieve an egg.
One year in ND he was retrieving a very alive bird, he got pecked and spurred, now he will give a very alive bird a squeeze before bring it back, I usually can hear the breath squeezed out. I don't blame him he does the work, now if he has an alive one he likes to stop just short of giving it to me, dead ones right to hand.

I have not been spurred. We were goose hunting on a frozen river, bout 12 years ago now. We limited out, packed up and dumped the geese and decoys in the trailer/boat that never floated. One of the geese comes to, been playing dead or knocked out for over an hour, and jumps out of the boat. I grab it by the neck and try to wring its neck. Wing shoulder strike to the area a few inches south of the belt buckle. I dropped the bird and dropped to my knees. My brother could not help but laugh and then he said " I will show you how it is done. Well the goose got him also and dropped him and the big mouth started vomiting. One of the other guys got smart and took off its head with a machete.

I had a female springer that was "the best" !! One year I decided that #6 shot was the way to go.:rolleyes: She retrieved 4 or 5 birds that I knocked down, but were not dead and they had their claws working on her. After that, she would go find a down bird, but would set on it until I arrived. I didn't blame her a bit and I went back to #5's. She was really a great dog and I can still see, in my minds eye, the "spring" in springer.

Last edited:
I have not been spurred. We were goose hunting on a frozen river, bout 12 years ago now. We limited out, packed up and dumped the geese and decoys in the trailer/boat that never floated. One of the geese comes to, been playing dead or knocked out for over an hour, and jumps out of the boat. I grab it by the neck and try to wring its neck. Wing shoulder strike to the area a few inches south of the belt buckle. I dropped the bird and dropped to my knees. My brother could not help but laugh and then he said " I will show you how it is done. Well the goose got him also and dropped him and the big mouth started vomiting. One of the other guys got smart and took off its head with a machete.

LOL.:10sign:
I'm reading your post saying to myself "this didn't happen", but you really can't make this stuff up!!!

One of mine brought back a Rooster with no head. I heard a yelp & some growling. The retrieve was finished with a little spur scratch under one eye & a
mad dog. Apparently he bit the head off after getting spurred while subduing one after a run down on a wounded bird.

Had a good friend who had a very big black lab--retrieved everything just fine--upland game and ducks--but geese always came back headless. Seems as a young pup on his 1st duck hunt he got into it with a large very alive honker-- in the water---it came back to the blind after a serious fight with no head--and every goose after that met the same fate. Ripper was his name. :D

He got the name for what happened when he was left home alone the first time.:eek:

turkey

Had a big tom spur me across my calf, bloody 6 inch cut. Didn't like me standing on his neck I guess?

Had a big tom spur me across my calf, bloody 6 inch cut. Didn't like me standing on his neck I guess?

I was just going to post almost the exact same thing. Only it was my brother who got ripped to shreds by a tom while he tried to dispatch it with his boot.

Ripped right through his hunting pants and threw his leg. That was ugly.

Nick,

Since you had this thread started, I will show you this. Not as long as yours, but he got me pretty good this past saturday. My dog brought it to me kicking. He got a good shot on the nose himself.

Sasha had a close call this year. Luckily it didn't slow her down or turn her off birds. I thought she got it in the eye because that's where the blood was. Healed up fine and didn't really affect her (thank god). This was after a couple days of healing.

22DB404A-A8DB-4703-82EA-FA4A59F32961_zpsvs2wbuwc.jpg

Back