It's spring in Calif

calamari

I saw the first flight of Sandhill Cranes heading NE toward Freezeout Res. in Montana. It's always fall when they arrive from the NE and it's always spring when they leave to the NE. I'd guess it will take them about a month to get there.

It's -17 here at 8:50 am, critters better stay put for now.

It definitely feels like spring. It was 70 something degrees today so we got a jump on spring cleaning with some hair cuts.

I was in N WI the past few days. It was -23 yesterday morning sooooo it didnt feel very spring like..

I'm playing golf this afternoon and wearing shorts for the first time this year. If I was in WI I'd be wearing insulated coveralls and using an orange beeper ball so I could find it. Spring's coming your way but it may take a little time to get there.:)

I would trade this weather for a real winter any day, maybe not a Wi winter but a real Ca winter anyways. I'm not sure how many more short winter/ long summer, drought years we can survive.

For California's upcoming fire season check out the report in the wildfire.com site---it's the 3rd article from the top. Not promising :(

For California's upcoming fire season check out the report in the wildfire.com site---it's the 3rd article from the top. Not promising :(

Fires in Calif. are like tornados in the midwest. You just have to accept there will be some and some of them will be big. Live here long enough and you can tell the difference between the sound of the AirCo (aircraft controller) OV-10 aircraft going over your house and the the sound of the S-2 retardant bombers. They've converted some of the S-2s to turbo props so it's a little tougher now to make the call while watching TV on your couch. It's a skill you really don't want.
NOAA is predicting a 30-40 year drought cycle which based on tree rings is the more common condition for Calif. at least. We've gotten a bloated population in the wrong part of the state based on a long wet cycle. Time to pay the bill for stupid decisions made in the past or people in SoCal can get used to the strange tasting water that results from hooking your toilet up to your faucet.

Last edited:
Yep I lived just outside of Custer SD and the heart of the Black Hills for 10 years or so--the local airport was a mile and half away and supported two fire attack helos--one small and one heavy. I got to know the difference real quick--if the small no hurry but if the heavy one went out on initial attack it was time to go and look around--now I live 300 miles east and it's twisters and bad hail you look out for--gulf and east coast it's hurricanes--west coast also has earthquakes--------Back to my favorite saying "Mother Nature bats LAST" :D

We had a retriever training day on Saturday and I went in shorts and a fishing shirt. I actually had to look for shade to put my folding chair in while I watched other people's dogs run.

Friday 27 Feb. and I took Morgan outside for some air in time to hear another flock of Sandhill Cranes heading NE. There were about 100 of them calling and flying in a circular mass apparently electing a new leader or deciding on a direction. Once decided they took off in two big Vs and went about 1/4 mile very quickly and then started circling again like before. I don't know how they get anywhere. At the rate they were progressing it will definitely be spring before they get where they're going.:)

Those cranes aren't a very organized bunch are they? Noisy as all get out and in no hurry.

Quail are beginning to pair off and turkies are fighting. Yep, it's definitely spring time here.:thumbsup:

Momma says don't put your tomatoes in the ground before Mother's Day.
Don't mess with Momma. ;)

Remember a few years ago when the oaks leafed out and we had a hard May frost? The leaves turned to mush- like lettuce in the freezer.

Momma says don't put your tomatoes in the ground before Mother's Day.
Don't mess with Momma. ;)

Remember a few years ago when the oaks leafed out and we had a hard May frost? The leaves turned to mush- like lettuce in the freezer.

The strawberry stand is open and picking ripe berries, that has to mean it's spring right?

I played golf today to the sound of gobbling in the surrounding woods and passed a flock of 20 birds with three big strutting toms on the road below the house. Oh it's spring here alright and the chance of a frost I'm afraid is past. That ought to guarantee it will happen.:)

I saw three big Toms sparring last week and the following day the winner (I assume) was already henned up with two lady friends.

Back