It finally happened!!!!!

Kevin W

Well boys in finally happened, we knocked on the right door and were granted permission to hunt an outstanding looking set a side field of primarily tall brome grass bordered by corn on 3 sides. I wasn't solo today either as I had my son and nephew along for the day. Walking ditches earlier in the morning produced 2 roosters for us (both singles) so we were already above and beyond my usual 1 bird per trip average.
After two failed attempts that morning to gain permission to hunt nice looking cover the third landowner of the day said sure go ahead when my son went up and asked permission for us. After the landowner gave my son a quick rundown of the rules we drove over too and parked in the field entrance geared up and let Kepa out. Kepa had a nice breeze straight in the face on our walk through the cover. I could tell early on Kepa was getting scent as the first pheasants started getting up early 100 yards or so ahead then settling back down in the same field opposite end. By the time we went that 100 yards Kepa was getting more bird scent than she has ever gotten in her rookie season. She handled it well and so did we, I will forgo the play by play but to summarize all of the flushes were one at a time and we put 5 roosters up in range. The boys and I made hay on all 5, then to top it off Kepa made all 5 retrieves!!! 2 of the retrieves were tough marks in head high brome too, I was thrilled that the boys and Kepa got to experience such a hunt.
This farm was about 45 minutes from a small town locker that processed my sons deer and they had called earlier in the week saying his deer was ready and that they would be open both Saturday and Sunday. So after the hunt we made the drive to get Kennys deer meat. While there we bought a package each of the lockers dried beef, summer sausage, ham and jack cheese that the locker processes and sells then drove all the way back to the farm we got permission on to drop it off and say thanks!!!! The landowners were very appreciative and talked with my son for 5 minutes or more. So 7 roosters total today!!!yes.jpg

That is great. Always nice when persistence pays off. Also great that you had your best day so far with Kepa and with son and nephew along tough to get much better. Congrats.

Good for you. If more folks would show appreciation for the hospitality of land owners perhaps land owners would be inclined to allow more hunters. I have made a practice of sending gift boxes to the folks where I deer hunt for some time and taken country hams to give to people where we bird hunt. It sure pays off.

Nice you got into some and should have a new spot to hit every other week. I take Christmas cards to the owners of the best spots I have permission in...usually Bomgaars or Fleet Farm gift cards that is. I think I would NOT try the alcohol, especially with the kids do the permission asking....I hope that was a joke, it was funny. Just so you speak more fluent "farmer/ag talk" any grass over thigh-high is not brome, at 6' likely switchgrass or big bluestem around here....unless it was head-high to the dog.

Back