It ain't all gravy in the SW

0fer2

Returned after a 4 day hunt in SW NoDak. Last hunted there 4 years ago. Definitely not as many birds or cover as before. Dry, so much of the CRP was hayed. Dry, as in poor brood success. Much more posting, and in some cases leased hunting rights.

We weren't the only ones struggling to find birds. Cover that was available had the snot hunted out of it already. And MN hunters take note, you've pissed off some of the farmers and ranchers with your actions................................and being from MN myself felt some of that rath as well as anyone else who asked permission to hunt posted lands.

So all in all its changed, yes we've seen posts about how some of you slayed em. I don't pay to play, do have friendship with some in the area and this year again met some great landowners who have a conservation ethic.

Of course on top of it all no one in my group could take advantage of most opportunities we had. Came back with some birds, great weather, some great folks, great scenery and wildlife viewing.

Dan

Just got back from the same area. Echoing what you observed. One of the great properties we could always count on has been hayed, so that cut down our hunting area a bit for the first few days. We did some scouting and door knocking, and got permission on a new, great looking property. It'll take us a few trips to figure out the best way to hunt it with only two of us and one dog, but it held birds.

Overall, fewer birds seen, but a more experienced dog and some lucky shooting, and we came home with about the same number we usually do. Not gunna stop me from going back, but sad to see things slightly downhill. And, as a Canadian, I did get one "You're not from Minnesota are you?" and when we assured that we weren't, we were granted permission!

I dunno, I work with a guy who is from down in Hettinger. He didn't seem to think the same sentiments even on his one weekend hunt out there. Public lands. But they had to work hard for them and adjust to some lands that had changed, scouted and found new spots. We're still planning a trip out there yet this year on a day or two. But I've seen the same pattern on all quadrants I've hit around Bismarck. I've made a point to find new spots each year for the reason you're explaining. Hope you're able to locate some new spots and keep hunting this great state! I'm from MN (Cambridge area) originally and haven't been back since high school. Except for the deer populations, MN has nothing better in terms of hunting/fishing IMO but deer may get the nod in ND because of the mule deer chances.

I have seen the impact you mentioned, I just maybe view the glass as half full and am always looking for better spots. This year I found a heck of a great spot that has put up many birds for me within a half hour of Bismarck I had overlooked before. With the exception of once/twice a year I hunt all public land in ND and for the past three years 90% of the weekends during the season...there are definitely bad public land spots here though. I've driven many miles only to find out the "good looking" spot was a cattle pasture and had not one bit of cover in sight.

Keep at it, I've even had public land spots change on me from last year. My "amber waves of pheasants" spot was pulled from the program. This place had more birds than I have ever seen, was almost like seeing huge geese migration numbers and vortexing over fields. When driving by the spot that had been pulled we found a few new unposted spots that looked promising for trying. But there are birds to be had, and as mentioned it's been mostly public lands.

Right now all this snow is what i'm most excited for, many people are hanging it up now for good with all this snow. Over a foot and more in most areas around Bismarck. Will be looking to go out this weekend, but thinking i'll try places with less snow received. Looks like i'd have to travel at least 2 hours west for close to no snow.

Last edited:
Yea, things do vary day to day. We hunted a PLOT right beside our old private honey hole, and did quite well. Lots of hens, and we found rooters. Hunted it again a few days later, and no birds at all. Scouting is the key though, and finding new areas. Those are always the best hunts.

Less birds won't keep me away, that's for sure. Just sad to see great property and cover taken out of CRP.

I'm actually encouraged by the good AND not so good reports, they'll keep me from getting unrealistic expectations. I'm scheduling my first ever bird hunting trip to any state west of my home state of Michigan, one for next November to SW North Dakota! I'll be booking this week!

I'm not a pheasant hunter other than a handful of times in the past. Neither dog I'll be bringing, both English Pointers, have hunted even planted pheasant, but they are very good ruffed grouse dogs. I'm certain it'll be a learning experience for them and I. I'm also certain it will be the first of many trips west!

I'll be following the threads in this section, hopefully learning along the way.

Truthfully, pheasant isn't much different to adapt to coming from ruffies. You just maybe need to understand that pheasant will run more before flushing certain times. The other thing that is I guess more important is to slow down on pheasants. You can see the pheasants the whole time, so there isn't a rush to get shots off like with ruffies. I've learned I make much better shots waiting an extra moment. Love me some ruffed hunting though, only got out once this year, maybe will still yet over christmas. Your dogs will still do the work, but now you'll be able to see it much easier if getting birdy.

Depending on where you hunt your ruffs in Michigan, your pointers probably have been introduced to running birds, in my neck of the woods grouse are just a pheasant in the woods, but just not as crafty as a rooster. Your pointers should be fine.

I agree Mi Forester, dogs should do just fine.
Trying to decide if I want to go out to ND the week before Thanksgiving or the week after. There's no way to predict the weather, so it's probably going to be a coin flip.

Anyone care to offer an opinion on which week to pick?

Last edited:
I go to sd right after woodcock season ends so basically first week of November, this year I went election week. I'm headed back for the last week of the season with my son. I would say go before turkey day as you will typically have better weather. Sure you can get an early snow storm but weather is usually decent.

Next year I'm thinking about hunting my normal week in SD and then hunting a week in another state......I have my lifetime license for Nebraska but numbers have been depressed there so kinda leaning towards ND.

That's good enough logic for me!
BTW, I'm one of the woodcock banders here in Michigan.

Y'all take care and happy hunting!

Booked! 13th thru 17th Nov 2017!

Last edited:
Snow

I'd say you'd be fine with either, but before Turkey day is better chances for decent weather. This snowstorm we just got Mon-Tues is way more snow than normal (19" is almost as much as all last year). The past 3 years have only really had cold weather after Tday. But before Tday I've been in a tshirt a lot.

Just got back from the SW, we decided to quit after 1 day of hunting with the ground blizzard. Tues found us motel bound with winds gusting to 50 mph and blowing/light snow. My guess is around 3" total where we were, to the N and E of us much more, I've heard parts around Bismarck and Minot got 24" or more.

I feel stupid for wimping out, the weather was improving on Weds and looked better as week went on. A lot of good comments here. I am 64 years old (what happened??!!) and while I didn't really spend much time hunting pheasants until 1989 (first dog and CRP) it was hunting the prairie and watching the dog work that hooked me.Then in 2010 after a 7 year absence from SDak we jumped back in. And watched the ag boom and older farmers/ranchers take the money and get out of it. Its tough to think of how great it was and the locals we met who were so kind to us.

So now, as you say, birds and places to hunt can be found, it just takes more and more time. So if we're gonna pursue hunting in NDak, to me that means heading out before the season and seeing the country and meeting landowners. We'll see about that.

Dan

I see it's been quite a while since anyone posted in this thread but I'll chance it and respond anyway. A lot of the stuff said here sounds pretty much like where we hunted in SD the last six years. Our hot spots changing every year. Fields getting hayed etc. I'm here today doing some research work as we need a change of scenery and have decided on a ND trip. Never been. Being from MN I am discouraged to read that Minnesotans have pissed so many off. Kind of sounds like when the Packers come to town. It would be sad to travel 8 hours bringing a few thousand dollars to a community to get treated rudely. But I get it, it would get old living in a city that's full of outsiders/strangers knocking on your door pretending they want to be your friend.

I go to sd right after woodcock season ends so basically first week of November, this year I went election week. I'm headed back for the last week of the season with my son. I would say go before turkey day as you will typically have better weather. Sure you can get an early snow storm but weather is usually decent.

Next year I'm thinking about hunting my normal week in SD and then hunting a week in another state......I have my lifetime license for Nebraska but numbers have been depressed there so kinda leaning towards ND.

Nebraska is & has been on the come back I'd rather hunt NE in January then SD or ND most every other WK of the season less hunters & pheasants quail & prairie grouse means more action... I hunted SD & NE last year NE way more fun

Birdhuntr1 Where are you hunting that week? I have put out a few feelers for that part of the state for this fall. Are you planning to hunt public or private?
We usually find some private and pay to hunt those places.
Where do you plan to stay? We have stayed in Regent mostly.
Good town that welcomes hunters.

I think us MN hunters have gotten a bad wrap from those farmers out there. Yes maybe some of us have done some stupid stuff, but I know a few farmers that have chewed my butt for reasons that are out of my control! Like somehow I am not supposed to let birds fly off of his property! How can I stop that from happening???

That's good enough logic for me!
BTW, I'm one of the woodcock banders here in Michigan.

Y'all take care and happy hunting!

Booked! 13th thru 17th Nov 2017!

Pretty sure those big SoDak outfitters design their fields and their walks so that the birds stay mostly on their property. Work 'em in not out.

Back