ISO Information on LANKAS Labs out of Atwood Kansas

Live2Birdhunt

Looking for any information or history on this breeder. I am in the market for a new puppy and they popped up in my research. Any input is appreciated.

Quote from their website:
"We raise Pointing Labs of all colors: BLACKS, CHARCOALS, CHOCOLATES, FOX REDS, IVORIES, SILVERS & WHITES. From 8wk old puppies to started dogs. We also offer a preseason and season training for all breeds"

I hope you are kidding. This is a breeder you should absolutely avoid at all costs. Please, please, please do not even consider a pup from here.

"We raise Pointing Labs of all colors: BLACKS, CHARCOALS, CHOCOLATES, FOX REDS, IVORIES, SILVERS & WHITES. From 8wk old puppies to started dogs. We also offer a preseason and season training for all breeds"

I hope you are kidding. This is a breeder you should absolutely avoid at all costs. Please, please, please do not even consider a pup from here.

I agree with Gatzby; digging around the Lankas website, they've got about as much misinformation/disinformation on what the Labrador Retriever Club (who makes the rules) and what the AKC defines as proper color....from the AKC website, up front and top center:

"The gentle, intelligent and family-friendly Labrador Retriever from Canada continues to be the most popular breed in the United States, according to AKC registration statistics. This versatile hunting breed comes in three colors - yellow, black and chocolate - and because of their desire to please their master they excel as guide dogs for the blind, as part of search-and-rescue teams or in narcotics detection with law enforcement."

I too would look elsewhere. Good luck!

Wow. That's why I love this forum. Thanks for the warnings. My current lab is from Jason Heffelmeier at Contender Retrievers. She has been awesome. I should stick to a winning game plan!

Wow. That's why I love this forum. Thanks for the warnings. My current lab is from Jason Heffelmeier at Contender Retrievers. She has been awesome. I should stick to a winning game plan!

Well, I'll admit to being a Lab "snob" (lol)...I don't really care what color they are as long as it's black, yellow or chocolate! I beileve I have heard of Jason from somewhere, he's got some good dogs on his web site.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Go to the American Pointing Lab website. There is a link there for reputable breeders. I would be happy to help if you have any questions. I am fairly familiar with many of the popular breeders around the Rocky Mountain region and just east of here.

David0311

Not sure but:

On retriever trial forum—there is a post by a guy who just purchased a pup from a unnamed kennel (as yet)but sounds a lot like this shady operation—with the vitamin supplement cr@@

Not sure the same BUT—

Buyer beware—

I know this is an old post but for what it's worth stay away from these types of "kennels". They obviously have no clue what they are talking about.

If you want a nice lab there are plenty out there with proven sires and dams. Retriever training net has really nice litters posted all the time. From reputable people who's labs are out of great lines.

it's pretty simple.......there should be some champion lineage in the pedigree.......color be damned, you get what you pay for, as said many times, it costs the same to feed/train a bad dog as well as a good one.

The silver tones can all be traced back to 2 Kellogg dogs when a bit of weim ended up in the blood lines, black and tan the 50s and Gordon's. The red dogs in the 90s looked like vizlas. And half the black pointing labs now are built like English pointers.

Last edited:
Back