Is this really a "double"???

Logical

I need a ruling from the masses.

I know a "double" is often strictly defined as two birds getting up almost simultaneously, with both being taken. Some folks say a "report" double, where the second flushes when the first one is shot, is not a true double. That was not the case yesterday.

We approached a plum thicket, and about 10 birds got up. I shot one, and it looked dead as it fell, so I swung on a second rooster, and shot. I hit him, but he continued flying. I watched, and saw where he landed. I picked up my first bird, and set off for the 300 yards to where the second went down. As I approached, his tailfeathers were straight up, due to the wind blowing up his rump. Figured he was dead.

Well, he looked at me, and jumped up and flew off. Another 300 yards away, the dropped, throwing up lots of snow. Off I went. Found him, and recovered him.

So, out of that flush, I put two birds in the bag, but not without a long chase for a wounded bird. Is this really a double?

I don't really care, as I call it a double, but figured it may give us something to discuss while we are waiting for next weekend to come for our next outing.

Happy hunting!!!

Here's my take based on what you told us. IF the second bird died directly due to you hitting that bird but not initially killing it then yes I would classify that as a double. You shot two birds with two separate shots that were in the air simultaneously and recovered both birds.

The exception would be if the second bird was initially wounded and when you flushed him again you needed a second shot. This would not be classified as a double IMO.

Last edited:
No. We all know what a true double is. Lest ye think I’m being a dick, I had a picture perfect opportunity at a true double and pulled triggers on an empty gun...I hadn’t reloaded! I’m still salty. Well done regardless

Last edited:
I'd call it a double as long as you didn't need an additional shot to finish it off the second recovered bird. Great feeling that doesn't happen too often in CO!

Todd

No. We all know what a true double is.

Yes we do know what a true double is. Two birds (actually 10 in this case) were in the air simultaneously and two birds died as a result from one shot each. I really don't see the debate here?

Last edited:
Whether or not you, or anyone else considers this a double is nothing more than semantics. What I would like to commend you on is being a conscientious hunter and tracking down that second bird, you did the right thing and I salute you for it. Thank you!

Back