Is Rawhide safe for dogs

Michealdavis

I read rawhides are dangerous to dogs I know the internet can overExaggerate things. Just asking if there alright in your own experience, its the only thing my dog chews.

Everything I have heard about rawhide is that they really aren't that good for your dog. The internet can exaggerate things sure, but there's alot of info out there about rawhide not being great for dogs. I think the main thing is that they don't really digest it well.

You could try giving your dog a marrow bone. They're usually from a cow and are basted and filled with marrow. Your dog should love chewing on that. Even when the marrow and basting is gone my dogs still chew on the actual bone. Usually you can find them at any pet store or Fleet Farm, Menards, etc.

Another alternative are Bully Sticks which are also made from cow parts of some kind.

Whatever you decide to give your dog, make sure it is made in the USA. The foreign made crap has formaldehyde and other chemicals you do not want to give to your best friend!

Agree on only made in USA. I’ve tried them and they seem to be a choking hazard to a degree They get a large piece soft and pliable which they want to swallow. A large section doesn’t break down in the stomach and could block the bowel from what I’ve read. My dog swallowed a large piece as a pup. I gave her hydrogen peroxide to throw it back up as I was afraid of blockage. Just my unprofessional opinion. I’ve opted out although my dog hates me for doing so. She loves them.

Stick with large marrow bones that your dog can't chew up and swallow. Most of the rawhide products sold as pet treats are made in foreign counties (read China). Many have been documented as having unhealthy chemicals and other contaminants. The marrow bones also have the advantage of helping keep your dog's teeth clean (scraping action).

My Lab would take them and drop them in her water to get them soft then eat them. Never seemed to affect her but I quit giving them to her. She was a big LAB

We use to give them to all our dogs. After a very expensive emergency vet bill for the little Chihuahua we don’t anymore. He swallowed a big chuck and was choking.

I give mine pork chomps, supposedly safer than rawhides, and haven't had any issues. I do watch them close, and I don't let them have them for longer than 10-15 min before putting them up, helps keep their teeth clean

Stick with large marrow bones that your dog can't chew up and swallow. Most of the rawhide products sold as pet treats are made in foreign counties (read China). Many have been documented as having unhealthy chemicals and other contaminants. The marrow bones also have the advantage of helping keep your dog's teeth clean (scraping action).
I had a Weimaraner that broke, chewed up, and ate the entire marrow bones. o_O

The first time I heard her doing that she was out on my deck. I thought the house was coming apart.

I read rawhides are dangerous to dogs I know the internet can overExaggerate things. Just asking if there alright in your own experience, its the only thing my dog chews.
I have been giving my Brittany only one brand of rawhide bones for past 6 years, Dentley Extra Tough Rawhide Rolls I buy from Petsmart. They are very tough and she can only pull off small pieces. I would not trust any other brand. Her teeth are in excellent condition and it definitely meets her desire to chew. Good luck.

I only give mine NylaBone and elk antlers. Elk antlers they chew the tips.

Those large beef bones are brittle and splinter.

Rawhide you are asking for a choke.

From my experience the beef bones don't seem brittle or splinter, but my dogs aren't 80 pound labs or bigger dogs so they may just not have the jaw strength to bust em up.

I give mine pork chomps, supposedly safer than rawhides, and haven't had any issues. I do watch them close, and I don't let them have them for longer than 10-15 min before putting them up, helps keep their teeth clean
i used to use these as well , more digestable than rawhide, used for teeth cleaning mainly ,but since ive switched my dogs to a true raw meat and bones diet their teeth are incrediblly white, amazing

Back