Is it the gun

Tilkut

Good morning. Been thinking about a 28 gauge, and a question keeps coming to mind. A quick explanation. A few years ago I bought my first o/u, a browning 20 gauge Cynergy. Really liked the feel and fit. Shortly after I also bought a Sig Rizzini TR20. Liked them both, but I never really seemed to shoot them well. I had some unexpected dog expenses, and decided to cover them by selling both guns. A year or so passed and I was thinking about wading back into the pool. It struck me that I had hunted with a version of the BPS upłand special for 25 years. First my original 12 gauge, then with one of my kids BPS 20 Micros, with the shorter stock replaced with a normal size english stock. Maybe what I needed to do was match what I had been doing. Shortly after I stopped in a GM and saw a Citori Superlight feather 20 gauge. The barrel had been ceracoated, and the stock had quite a few scratches and dings, but it was solid. It was listed at $799, and it occurred to me it matched the BPS specs. I bought it, stripped the stock and forearm for a BLO finish, and shot this fall with greater accuracy than ever! So here's the question. When looking for a 28 gauge, should I stick with the same dimensions that seem to work best for me? If you have multiple brands of shotguns, do you shoot them about the same? I was thinking of redoing an older gun, or looking at a new Turkish sxs, but I wonder if I should stick to Browning because I shot them growing? Please give me your thoughts on mixing and matching different guns.

You've asked a broad question; however I would stick with what works. With cast and drop angles, sight platforms at different heights, etc. it's hard to match when using different brands.

I can shoot most anything but I can't shoot a Benelli auto and lord knows I've tried. Good luck with your choice.

I certainly don't have an exacting answer to your question and I don't know that the specs on one Browning model are necessarily carried over to another model. My safe has shotguns by Remington (870's and 1100's), Winchester (Model 96), Savage (440B), Browning (Citori Upland Special, Citori Gran Lightning, BPS) and Franchi (Affinity and Renaissance).

I'm a bird hunter and only very rarely have shot clays. I mention all of those guns (not all of which I use) to illustrate that despite their considerable differences in design, I don't experience much difference in shooting them. Sometimes I'm on and sometimes I'm not and there does not seem to be a pattern as to which gun is in my hands at the time.

I want to encourage you to give a 28 a try as I have really fallen hard for my Franchi Renaissance Classic. It is just about the only gun I have in my hands when hunting dove, quail or snipe and is very light and comfortable to carry. My only regret is that I did not buy the combo 20/28.

What ever you decide to do, have fun doing it!

Interesting discussion and I'll throw my two cents worth in. RE can't hit with Benelli auto? Me too, pheasants that is. Ducks and geese fine. Having said that I usually shot at pheasants, and hit nearly all with 20 and 16 ga sxs. The mount and shoot method does not seem to work with the auto. Now ghaving said that my cold season and steel pheasant gun is a Browning B-2000 20 ga auto that I shoot the same as I do my sxs. I picked up a 12 one time and it seemed to heft and swing way on the heavy side so I did not think much of it.
I shot Superposed quite a bit years ago. 12 and 20 were fine. I bought a Ruger Red Label 20 and success was poor. The gun would cant on me, I felt because of a slim pistol grip but maybe a lop issue. I do put pads on my side by sides based on lop and the clothes I am wearing.
Remarkably, the Rem 870 seems to come out of the box fitting most reasonably well, myself included.

Personally I always felt like the easiest thing to do was to go to a gun store and shoulder each one. You'll know when it just feels right. I have a 12 gauge cynergy sporting and the gun fits perfect. It comes up well and swings perfect. My beretta 686 in a 28 gauge fits me the same way. Obviously different brands but I shoot them both well because of the fit. What works for you does not necessarily work for someone else. You could also get measured and work off the dimensions that they give you. Good luck! Keep us posted

Interesting to hear others experiences with certain brands. I have been perusing different sites for a 28 gauge citori with english stock. Then today I stopped in the Richfield Cabelas and took a walk through the gun room. They have a Dickinson 28 gauge in the cabinet I really drooled over. Don't like the finish, but it looks oh so slim and svelte. This is how I ended up with the rizzini. I find myself forgetting all about logic, when the right pretty face comes along.

So here's the question. When looking for a 28 gauge, should I stick with the same dimensions that seem to work best for me? If you have multiple brands of shotguns, do you shoot them about the same? I was thinking of redoing an older gun, or looking at a new Turkish sxs, but I wonder if I should stick to Browning because I shot them growing? Please give me your thoughts on mixing and matching different guns.

Shotgun dimensions can vary from one brand to the next quite a bit. I would say if you absolutely have to have a particular gun/brand, yet the fit might be a bit less than perfect, you can still have the stock fit to you. This can be accomplished in a couple different ways depending on how much you are willing to pay. Adjustable combs can correct drop to comb and cast at a very affordable price, unless your just dead set against the look it provides. spacers and or thicker butt pads to increase LOP etc..

Stocks can be heated and bent up/down or side to side to a certain degree by a qualified stockmaker. A last resort and likely the most expensive is to have a custom stock made to your dimensions.

With all that being said: Having a perfectly fitted stock is not an absolute requirement to be able to shoot it well, providing it is not waaay off.

Even more, having a stock custom made or an existing one fitted will only make sense if your gun mount is consistent. In fact most stockmakers/gunfitters who are worth anything will tell you it's a waste of money for them to make you a stock until your gun mount is consistent.

It's pretty easy for me to grab a gun off the rack and tell if the drop and cast are going to be close. If I need more and I would resort to some of the options i just desribed.

Last edited:
Back