Is anyone on here from Missoula?

alberta jonny

The family and I are looking to relocate to Montana and I was wondering what the bird hunting is like around there, any help would be appreciated!

Locally there is some public up by nine pipes with good duck hunting and pheasants on good years. There is good public ruffed grouse hunting to the south in the alders. If you cross over east there is good pheasant with some huns and sharps up to the high line. Later in bird season the effort drops off considerably as guys move to chasing big game. Great duck hunting as well. In the bitterroot valley there are a lot of ranchettes so the cover is broken up and hard to access for Pheas. This info is old as I lived there in the late 90's but generally holds true. I lived in the rattlesnake canyon area and had great trout fishing by walking down the driveway. I had bears and big whitetails in the yard. The weird thing is the traffic jams with one bridge over the river and there is inversion in the winter. Overall a cool place to live, with plenty of hunting for a guy with a dog. There will be more people than Alberta, but there are good roads and an airport.

Back