Irish Setter Tamarck Boots

Dakotazeb

I have a pair of Irish Setter Upland boots. I'm looking for a boot with more traction and stability that I can use for both pheasant and elk hunting. That's why I'm interested in the Tamarack's.

Danner Elk Hunter

I have a pair of Irish Setter Upland boots. I'm looking for a boot with more traction and stability that I can use for both pheasant and elk hunting. That's why I'm interested in the Tamarack's.

Take a look at Danner Elk Hunters. The 8" has 400 gram Thinsulate while the 10 inchers have 600 gram. I have the 10 inchers which I wear for cold weather pheasant hunting. Excellent traction and support.

I haven't had the best of luck with Danners and Irish Setters have never let me down. In a combo pheasant/elk boot I also want a protected toe. Pheasant hunting raises heck with the toes if not protected. That's why I'm leaning towards the Tamaracks.

I've also considered the Kenetrek's. Everything I hear about them is good. But they are pricey at $355.

http://www.kenetrek.com/mountain_boots.asp

Nice Boots

I haven't had the best of luck with Danners and Irish Setters have never let me down. In a combo pheasant/elk boot I also want a protected toe. Pheasant hunting raises heck with the toes if not protected. That's why I'm leaning towards the Tamaracks.

I've also considered the Kenetrek's. Everything I hear about them is good. But they are pricey at $355.

http://www.kenetrek.com/mountain_boots.asp

The Kenetrek are super looking boots. So are the Tamaracks for an uninsulated. Great features on both.

Last edited:

Dzeb,
I wear Irish Setter Ground Sensing (gore-tex/uninsulated), for elk hunting and upland, have for the past five years (same pair) and I put down a lot of miles in the mountains (100+); they don't have as much ankle support as a technical style boot and the soles are soft so if your covering a lot of rocky ground the bottom of you're feet can get tender if you're not careful, but that makes them extremely quiet when stalking;
Upland hunting I log more than 80 miles a season and only had one soaker because I went in water over the top of the boot, they don't collect the mud like the more aggression treads but they can get a little slippery; they do not have a protected toe but as of yet that has not been a problem, the stitching has remained strong and the leather has held up
I wish they were made in the US instead of china

I know a lot of guides that have been wearing a variation of the irish setter wingshooter for elk, they really like that style of sole because it is quiet; they'll wear those type of boots for the early season and switch to a more aggressive tread when the weather hits
another boot that I've worn for many years backpacking is the Scarpa SL M3, they go with me on every trip as a backup
also had good luck with the Chippewa 8" Briar, I think its the Norway or Norwegian something

Back