Increasing Popularity Of Sustainable AG Methods

huntsem

I wonder if widespread use of these techniques could be managed to bring back a golden age of upland hunting nationwide ? I'm surprised not to see more mention of these methods from wildlife conservation groups.
Watch video;
Under Cover Farmers

Dang good video. I am going down this path and believe it is sustainable but may not be scalable for most.

Meaning, the farmer that owns 160 acres and farms 3000 is not going to be the one to deploy these methods because it is a long term swing and renters have a short term mentality.

I like the idea--may have to see if the renters would be interested in trying this on say a 60 acre plot. A great video :10sign:

Well in all fairness to the renters it is just the nature of the beast.

It is not the nature of the beast any more than a farmer farming his own land. If a renter is willing to enter a long term agreement and not get top dollar for his land. It is possible. I can't stay competitive and in the cash rent world and do some of these things.

We started doing cover crop on silage ground. It is important to note these guys are mainly down south with a longer growing season. It is tuff to put a cover crop on corn and bean ground up north and give it a chance to work.

In the North country it's crop rotation. One year to the next.
We, most years need the help with a killing frost to dry down corn especially.
Look how many times the corn isn't out by pheasant opener.
Not by choice, it's the short growing season.
When the soil temps cool down, that's it.

Mike, guys like Gabe Brown have a large contingent of farmers doing this in North Dakota.

Just sayin

It sounds like he is using it following small grains not in a corn bean rotation. Looks like he has tried to use a companion crop in his corn. We looked into that but the feed back we have gotten is that it is not very successful. Also it would appear that part of the reason it works for him is that he grazes it. Not everyone has that luxury. I am glad it is working for him. But I don't see how you can look at what he is doing and say it will work for everyone.

Last edited:
On early, cool season growing crops like Oats and Barley the cover crop idea is good as long as it's no till. I'm talking as far as pheasants and birds are concerned.
Ain't going to work for Spring Wheat, corn, Sunflowers, Canola and Soy Beans.
Main crops up North.

It sounds like he is using it following small grains not in a corn bean rotation. Looks like he has tried to use a companion crop in his corn. We looked into that but the feed back we have gotten is that it is not very successful. Also it would appear that part of the reason it works for him is that he grazes it. Not everyone has that luxury. I am glad it is working for him. But I don't see how you can look at what he is doing and say it will work for everyone.

I agree not every farmer is going to be able to make that system work. For me it is following wheat in a wheat corn and bean rotation.

I think the broadcast into standing beans and corn is interesting but would take some tall equipment. Maybe the coops will start offering there services.

I think the broadcast into standing beans and corn is interesting but would take some tall equipment.

That is what we looked into. The broadcast it into corn at v7-8 if I remember right. Most coops can float the seed on at that plant height. The guys at milborn seed have not had good results doing it that way.

That is what we looked into. The broadcast it into corn at v7-8 if I remember right. Most coops can float the seed on at that plant height. The guys at milborn seed have not had good results doing it that way.

I know Gabe Brown, he is a very creative man and his son Paul may be more so. This year he had a planter built so he can plant hairy vetch as he is planting corn. He does have an advantage in that he has cattle, sheep and poultry. There is a ton of information on you tube about them and what they do. Their soil biology is alowing them to basicly get rid of commercial fertilizer. Gabe will tell you that he made mistakes along the way so one will have to be able to handle that. Their line is make your mistakes small.

Does anyone know someone that is dooing this in Oklahoma or Kansas in order to get a first hand look? It was a great educational video. Thanks for posting

Back