In Ground Fence

I have a Pet Safe brand that has been great for me. My grand father also uses the same one with great results.

If you have moles/voles or even rocky ground, you may consider the wireless. You put the transmitter in your garage or something and pick how big of a radius you want.

This is the fence I put in. http://store.petsafe.net/stubborn-dog-in-ground-fence

I tried the wireless, no good! It has too small of a range and the collars are cheap. You get what you pay for.

The reason I put mine in was because I have a neighbor who has free roaming chickens! I raise hunting dogs who love a good chase. You know the end result! I circled about 2 acres of my property in the underground fencing and it is awesome. Sometimes it beeps occasionally like the wire is broke, but it just needs an adjustment of the level on the transmitter. Been in the ground at my house a couple of years and I have not had a mole or vole bother it yet. I have both of them all over the property.

This is the fence I put in. http://store.petsafe.net/stubborn-dog-in-ground-fence

I tried the wireless, no good! It has too small of a range and the collars are cheap. You get what you pay for.

The reason I put mine in was because I have a neighbor who has free roaming chickens! I raise hunting dogs who love a good chase. You know the end result! I circled about 2 acres of my property in the underground fencing and it is awesome. Sometimes it beeps occasionally like the wire is broke, but it just needs an adjustment of the level on the transmitter. Been in the ground at my house a couple of years and I have not had a mole or vole bother it yet. I have both of them all over the property.

This is exactly the reason I am putting in a wire fence. I also tried the wireless and just wasted my money. I have a GSP and she been accused of killing a total of 13 chickens. The relationship with the neighbor is strained.

This is exactly the reason I am putting in a wire fence. I also tried the wireless and just wasted my money. I have a GSP and she been accused of killing a total of 13 chickens. The relationship with the neighbor is strained.

My neighbor called the police and because my wife showed up first at the "scene of the crime" she was issued a misdemeanor and ordered to appear in court! Because my dog hunts they understand the whole collar conditioning so it was fairly easy to train. My suggestion is to rent an edger from your local rental shop and just cut the ground with that edger. Then lay the wire down and cover it up. Very simple installation. I bought a lot of wire so i could make a large yard area. We live on 80 acres so it wasn't a problem to make my secure area about 2-3 acres. Seems to be plenty for the dogs.

You can use more than one transmitter for the wireless fence to make the area bigger.

If the dog blows through the in ground fence the collar will only be a shot stimulation, but the wireless goes off for 30 seconds.

I have had much better results with the wireless. I have had both.

You can use more than one transmitter for the wireless fence to make the area bigger.

If the dog blows through the in ground fence the collar will only be a shot stimulation, but the wireless goes off for 30 seconds.

I have had much better results with the wireless. I have had both.

I had an underground, and my dogs decided the brief bit of pain was worth being free. The collars also caused sores which got infected on their necks. I bought 8 horse panels and made a big circular pen.

I am reviving a year old thread here, but I am considering an in ground fence to make a 2-3 acre area where I can let my dogs out and not worry about them chasing a deer.

I am having trouble deciding on a brand of fence to get. I am liking the Dogtra for rechargeable batteries, but some of the reviews are not very good. I have also had issues with Dogtra products in the past.

Does anyone have any insight into which brands work well?

Thanks

I am reviving a year old thread here, but I am considering an in ground fence to make a 2-3 acre area where I can let my dogs out and not worry about them chasing a deer.

I am having trouble deciding on a brand of fence to get. I am liking the Dogtra for rechargeable batteries, but some of the reviews are not very good. I have also had issues with Dogtra products in the past.

Does anyone have any insight into which brands work well?

Thanks

Scroll back up and click on the link for PetSafe that goldenboy provided. The suggestion for using a edge trimmer is good as well, easy way to put down the wire, any small gauge wire works with the thing and the "stubborn dog collar" uses a 9-volt battery that is not specialized like the batteries on the standard petsafe collars and the 9volt is a downright powerful collar but you are able to set it on at least 5 different levels with push of a button plus has a low battery warning light. The control box on there more modern boxes also has a loop indicator light/signal that sounds if the loop is compromised.
Can get petsafe products a little cheaper cost wise lots of time on Ebay that's where I bought my last one...the first one fried due to a lighting strike on my house. That's the only problem I have every had with em.

I have the Invisible Fence, I was not aware of other brands when I bought my some 16 years ago. It has worked very well with only a few breaks in the line over that time, mostly from kids and snowmobiles. I have nothing negative about my system other than price. I have about 3 acres fenced. I have switched to an off brand for replacement collars, about half the price, and batteries I get those online from muttfence.com. It is a great system for your dogs, it is a rare occasion when they go past the line, usually when the battery is dead.

Scroll back up and click on the link for PetSafe that goldenboy provided. The suggestion for using a edge trimmer is good as well, easy way to put down the wire, any small gauge wire works with the thing and the "stubborn dog collar" uses a 9-volt battery that is not specialized like the batteries on the standard petsafe collars and the 9volt is a downright powerful collar but you are able to set it on at least 5 different levels with push of a button plus has a low battery warning light. The control box on there more modern boxes also has a loop indicator light/signal that sounds if the loop is compromised.
Can get petsafe products a little cheaper cost wise lots of time on Ebay that's where I bought my last one...the first one fried due to a lighting strike on my house. That's the only problem I have every had with em.

I stand by my earlier comments. I still have the system in today and it works fine. I have now added a new puppy and I will begin the training all over again with her. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Back