If I were hungry?

niceshot

I would shoot an autoloader. Today I jumped the bachelor band, 5 roosters in gun range, and I got one bird. The first bird was straightaway low over the slew and I whiffed, the second bird was a 747 and I toasted it. The next 3 flushed all within 15 yards and I watched them sail across the hardtop into standing corn..... it was very painful. How much is a new Montefeltro? Should I really buy an auto?

About 800 bucks for a good used one. That may not solve all your problems. I probably would have shot 3 at the first one because it was an easy shot and missed on all 3. Missed on the 2nd bird because I was still pissed at the first bird. Hit on the second shot and be frantically trying to reload and end up with a Benelli thumb.

Hit on the second shot and be frantically trying to reload and end up with a Benelli thumb.

I watched my brother scream and yell about one of these as a real nice Buffalo Head whizzed over-head this last weekend. Loved it.

What would happen to me the first time I went to ND, my Springer would flush a bird at or near my shooting limit 30-35 yards at the flush, and I would use 2 shots on a marginal shot and watch other birds flush within 5-10 yards when all I had was my Dick in my hand.{So to speak} Now it seems I pass up to many 30-40 shots and wonder why.

Don't get a Monetfeltro, but a Beretta 391 can't be beat. :)

It doesn't matter for me what I use, some I hit, some I whiff. Last November was walking our honeyhole waterway thats always good for a bird or two. A rooster jumped at the edge at my 7 o'clock. I turned and started shooting at about 20 yards. 4 shots at a rooster, going straight away, not a hill, not a tree, nothing but wide open wheat fields, and he just kept on flying.

Luckily another 100 yards we got into some more birds and I made up for it in a cloud of feathers.

keep the gun, go shoot some skeet, save your money......how often will this scenario happen in a lifetime?.......maybe 3 or 4 times

I would guesstimate this scenario happens to me 2 or 3 times per season. A shotgun blast seems to be a very effective way of flushing pheasants out of a cattail slew...simultaneously.

If you had an auto, you probably would have only put two shells in since your used to an O/U. It will take many years to retrain your cognitive thinking anyway and at your age you just don't have that kind of time. 2nd scenerio, your wife loaded your gun before you left the house and by some act of God you shot all three roosters and then what, now your done hunting and you have to go home. Last year I had the same thing happen but I dropped 3 with my O/U and was done in 15 min. I thought man that was stupid now I'm done and won't do that again. And what are you doing hunting before the season starts on Sat.!!!!!

keep the gun, go shoot some skeet, save your money......how often will this scenario happen in a lifetime?.......maybe 3 or 4 times
You're probably right but he will always think about the "what if" on having more shells. It may drive him to the looney bin! :D

About 800 bucks for a good used one. That may not solve all your problems. I probably would have shot 3 at the first one because it was an easy shot and missed on all 3. Missed on the 2nd bird because I was still pissed at the first bird. Hit on the second shot and be frantically trying to reload and end up with a Benelli thumb.

Does medicare cover treatment for Benelli thumb? ;)

Over the years I have learned that no matter how many shells my guns will hold and shoot, I always come back with the same number of birds. I am a better shot with a single shot. In my head if I know I have more shells , I seem to not aim as well as if I only had one!!! I think I just like to hear my gun go BANG, or chase the Rooster into my third shot!!! LOL:cheers:

I have a few times got a quick early limit. I shoot an old pump.:eek:
I'm thinking auto:confused:
Now days I seem to shoot up more ammo with fewer kills.:(
I'm thinking with an auto I might not be able to carry enough shells.:)

Been there, Done That

Some times the extra rounds help. This year I hunted a slew in a cut corn field. Two friends started at one end with the dogs and I started at the other with just me and my Model 12 16 ga. The slew was about 400 yards long but not too thick. I guess I should also mention that up to this point it had been two hours hunting and no shooting.

I was about 30 yards into the slew when the mother lode of pheasants started to leave in ones, twos, and fours. I had my limit in 15 seconds and needed an additonal round to finish off a runner. I fired five rounds and had one left in the gun when I had my limit. As I picked up the roosters, more pheasants flushed. It was neat. :D

Now, I don't always want a limit that quick but I sure needed the extra rounds that day!

Lock an Load! :D

Back