Hunting report from center of SD end of October

Riverman

Three of us just hunted 5 days in the central part of SoDak 10/23- 10/27. We shot limits every day and usually done by 2 or so. A LOT more birds than last year. I would say at least 2-3 times as many birds. Almost all of the birds we killed were young-of-year, and 5 of 45 were really young and barely colored up. Looks like they had multiple hatches. We hunted public areas, private stuff, and a few ditches.

Looks like about 30-50% of crops have been harvested and they are hitting it hard. Also saw a lot more hunters--word has gotten out that numbers are up.

We had the same experience and even got some bonus sharptails. Saw dozens of birds, daily limits and surprisingly little to no other hunters. We were obviously not in the "classic" pheasant areas but hunted some very productive walk-in areas. Later in the week hunted a Uguide property and had a good hunt as well. I think in some areas of the state numbers are up dramatically.

GREAT reports guys...THANKS....I'm here in central S.D. right now.....yesterday was really tough...shot 0 birds....had some good dog work though...today got my limit.....more good dog work....cooler weather is here.....I'd love to limit out early and get into some Sharptails!

Back