Hunting pheasants with Muzzleloader?

I borrowed a muzzleloading shotgun from a buddy, but sadly it was stocked more like a rifle than a shotgun and I wasn't able to shoot it very well. I've been eyeing some of the double barrel black powders at Cabelas. I think it would be a blast to chase some roosters in a cloud of smoke.

I have also thought about doing this. Looking forward to hearing from people who have tried it.

I have also thought about doing this. Looking forward to hearing from people who have tried it.

I am looking forward to some real-life experiences hunting pheasants with the muzzleloader. One of the concerns I have is whether there is a fire danger from shooting one in CRP or should a person avoid those areas while hunting. Maybe there isn't any difference between shooting a modern shotgun and a muzzleloader as far as fire danger is concerned. Otherwise I'm ready to give it a try.

Might scare the crap out of the dog - another concern.

LM

While I've never hunted pheasants with a black powder, I did shoot some clays. Besides the smoke I couldn't see any difference between it and a regular shotgun. I was using plastic wads and triple 7 powder. It patterned beautifully. I wouldn't think it would cause any more fire danger than a regular shotgun shell.

Back