Hunting Partner

walk213

http://www.huntfishgolfwork.com/hunting-partner

It is not uncommon during Colorado’s upland bird season for me to drive over 450 miles and walk 13 in a single day. I am usually up just before 4 am, and out the door no later than 4:45 am. The trip to the eastern corridor of the state is long, but I am fueled by both adrenaline & caffeine. Upon arrival in bird country, my heart starts to race as I anticipate the day’s adventure. Once I am out of the truck, I expect that every shelterbelt, plum thicket and CRP field that I walk is loaded with exquisite pheasants. The reality is that I generally walk for many miles before raising my shotgun at a crafty rooster. There are days that can be bleak, and exhausting when no birds reveal themselves for hours on end. Upland hunting can be even more exasperating when erratic shooting undermines limited opportunities.

It takes someone with comparable DNA to want to prowl the prairie with you. They possess the same commitment, passion and unadulterated love for the chase. Your hunting partner embraces the grind, and he does not need an explanation when you want to hit one more spot late in the day before the long journey home. They don’t have to be a colleague at work, a college roommate or even your best friend. They just need to bring the same level of intensity to the sometimes-complex, arduous process of hunting the uplands. I value those people that pursue birds with me. I enjoy talking strategy with them, and learning from their divergent experiences in the field. They know when they can chide me for missed shots, but they are also aware when silence is golden. It takes time to create the mutual trust to want to begin hunting together. Once the required commonalities are satisfied, a unique respect between people is born.

My hope is that both of my teenage sons evolve to become zealous wingshooters. I know that I cannot force them to love it, and that there is an opportunity cost associated with hunting with their dad. That said, my boys would be my ideal hunting partners.

It's hard to explain to the person that "doesn't get it". We (3 buddies and I) get up before 5 and drive the two hours needed to get into birds. You walk your rear end off to maybe pull the trigger a few times here and there and when your legs can't handle anymore you try and squeeze "just one more" out of them! Then you get in the truck and drive the two hours back home. With tired legs, tired dogs and sore feet you can't wait to do it again!

It's hard to explain to the person that "doesn't get it". We (3 buddies and I) get up before 5 and drive the two hours needed to get into birds. You walk your rear end off to maybe pull the trigger a few times here and there and when your legs can't handle anymore you try and squeeze "just one more" out of them! Then you get in the truck and drive the two hours back home. With tired legs, tired dogs and sore feet you can't wait to do it again!

That is it. Nothing more, nothing less. You have to embrace the chase.

I could not have said it better....try doing all of that with 2 replaced knees.....I still love it!!!!

Good for you! I am feeling the pain these days. Knees, right hip and shoulder. Sucks to get old. A few Advil and some liniment and I am ready to roll.

I have been extremely fortunate. My Son is that partner !! He did something very nice one time & I said that was very nice for him to do. He said, "That's the way you raised me " .

I have been extremely fortunate. My Son is that partner !! He did something very nice one time & I said that was very nice for him to do. He said, "That's the way you raised me " .

That is what I want to hear one day! Good stuff.

With schedule flexibility achieved through retirement I choose to no longer make those one day death marches to the eastern CO fields from Denver. Instead, I leave between 6 and 7 and start hunting between 9 and 10. I typically stay at the Golden Plains Motel in Holyoke (great owners and staff), hunt the second day and then drive home. That is much more compatible with my 68 year old frame.
Tom

With schedule flexibility achieved through retirement I choose to no longer make those one day death marches to the eastern CO fields from Denver. Instead, I leave between 6 and 7 and start hunting between 9 and 10. I typically stay at the Golden Plains Motel in Holyoke (great owners and staff), hunt the second day and then drive home. That is much more compatible with my 68 year old frame.
Tom

I get it, Tom. Between work and my son's soccer schedule, I need to get my licks in when I can. My oldest and I will do a late afternoon hunt tomorrow and an all day affair on Saturday. It will be his first time hunting birds. Time to create a hunting partner.

I know that you've got your hands full with your boys' soccer schedule and work Ross. I regret that my wife and I did not have any kids
to bring into the sport. I did enjoy working with the youths as part of the Pheasants Forever and CPW youth training programs while I was still involved. Have a great time out there with your son this weekend.
Tom

This thread sums it up. I have two daughters and although I tried to get their interest peaked, neither hunt so I have looked at other options. Tomorrow morning I will head east a few hours again and have invited a young soldier from church (we got his first turkey last spring). Monday, I will take two youngsters, without a dad in the picture, out to Steel Forks. I'm having a blast. I just was talking to my wife about how much I prefer staying overnight (or a few nights) and having it a little easier, but a lot of the people I am trying to introduce to the sport have a tough time getting a way from "life" for more than a day.

...and just happen to love your videos Walk213.

This thread sums it up. I have two daughters and although I tried to get their interest peaked, neither hunt so I have looked at other options. Tomorrow morning I will head east a few hours again and have invited a young soldier from church (we got his first turkey last spring). Monday, I will take two youngsters, without a dad in the picture, out to Steel Forks. I'm having a blast. I just was talking to my wife about how much I prefer staying overnight (or a few nights) and having it a little easier, but a lot of the people I am trying to introduce to the sport have a tough time getting a way from "life" for more than a day.

...and just happen to love your videos Walk213.

Hello Hubsker,

Thank you for the kind words. I hope that you and your soldier friend have a blast. I took a wounded warrior last year and we had a magnificent time. He actually started to teach me new rilfe techniques that I deployed this past season. Good luck! Right now I am sharing a hotel room with my 14 (15 next week) old son. We hit his first field ever at 3:45 PM today. Birds were running and flushing wild. A hen flushed close and made his heart skip a beat. We will go at some prime stuff tomorrow. I pray that he makes at least one shot count. That is all we need to get him hooked. Hunt well!!

Back