Hunting labradoodles

tomt

Love my black lab but he just turned 11 and is beginning to show signs of slowing. I am leaning towards a pointing lab but my wife hates the dog hair in the house and I hate the idea of my hunting buddy living in a pen. Does anyone know any first hand knowledge on reliable breeders of hunting Labradoodles? might save my marriage :)

There are some real hunting breeds that have limited shedding. I would look into some of them. Pudelpointer, wirehaired pointing griffon etc.

Does anyone know any first hand knowledge on reliable breeders of hunting Labradoodles? might save my marriage :)

No such thing as a "Hunting Labradoodle". The LD is a mutt, nothing more. The LD fad is driven by greed and ignorance and no responsible Lab breeder would ever contribute to such an #@!*&%$#* mess.

Get a hunting dog if you want to hunt. The LD isnt it!!

NB

Don't do it, ta heck with the marriage. A labra doodle is a waste of dog food and money. Not to mention waste of hunts, time and agrivation. Get the dog you want, and tell her she has to give up hair spray, it's toxic.:D Limit your dog to the dog room only. Poarch, kitchen what ever has a easy to vacume floor. And keep up on it. It tends to keep her lip zipped a bit.

Hey theres an invention, the remote control female lip zipper. :)

Last edited:
I think there may be more hair from my wife on the bathroom floor and vanity countertop than from the two labs in the entire house!:D

Maybe just brush the dog A LOT more. Some things are just NOT negotiable when you are a man.:eek:

Man I agree. I would not waste money on a bad bet. Your chances of getting a good hunter are not good. Spend your money on a furminator. I pay my 12 year old daughter to do it twice a week. She's happy, dogs happy, the wife's never happy:D. Shedding is reduced at least 75%

The only place in the house that my Wife does not want Lab hair is on Her pillow.:confused:
SO, :) I got Her one of those sticky, tear away lint type removers, now She's totally OK with the pups.
When She gets up to go to work both pups are on the bed with me, We sleep another hour or two until daylight. :thumbsup:

Just thought I would share that with Y'all.:cheers:

The only place in the house that my Wife does not want Lab hair is on Her pillow.:confused:
SO, :) I got Her one of those sticky, tear away lint type removers, now She's totally OK with the pups.
When She gets up to go to work both pups are on the bed with me, We sleep another hour or two until daylight. :thumbsup:

Just thought I would share that with Y'all.:cheers:

My wife is not quite that tolerable, but she has come a long way in the last 20 years or so.

Love my black lab but he just turned 11 and is beginning to show signs of slowing. I am leaning towards a pointing lab but my wife hates the dog hair in the house and I hate the idea of my hunting buddy living in a pen. Does anyone know any first hand knowledge on reliable breeders of hunting Labradoodles? might save my marriage :)

I agree with others. If your planning on a "hunting Labradoodle" to save your marriage you might as well end your marriage now cause it ain't gonna happen.

There are enough backyard bred labs around that don't and won't hunt and then throw in a poodle into the mess? A non hunting lab bred to a non hunting poodle or vice versa. I think you can figure out on your own what this dog will do. Probably wouldn't even hunt up a steak!

Standard poodles are pretty cool dogs. Knew a fella that hunted one on grouse that did really well. They are very smart. Very, very trainable.

As said above the mixtures, lab, poodle, golden, are mutts. And often have more health problems than the purebreds.

I'll stick with my bird dogs.

Get a German Wirehaired Pointer.

This is the second time in a month that we have discussed doodles hunting. Maybe the world is coming to the end !!

To the OP. their is a thread named Labradoodle back a month or so. Lots of good info

Steve

Hilarious responses... I have looked around the inter net and cannot find anything that suggests that the odds of getting one of these dogs that can hunt are very high. With the amount of time I spend on the water, I'm sticking with the tried and true.....Another lab it is.....

Hilarious responses... I have looked around the inter net and cannot find anything that suggests that the odds of getting one of these dogs that can hunt are very high. With the amount of time I spend on the water, I'm sticking with the tried and true.....Another lab it is.....

Well I still would not suggest a lab... But to each his own I guess

Dont knock it I personally saw one a few times at the preserve I go and let me tell this labradoodle is goood covers every square inch and has alot of energy. I know the owner puts alot of time in though. The dog is also pretty big

Back