Hunting in the rain

Chrisco5111

I'm heading out next friday, after the opener, and rain may be in the forecast. Do you guys hunt in the rain and if so how does your approach differ? Do you look for more shelter cover or does rain really affect the way the birds act. I've heard that some guys say it is pointless to hunt in the rain but I just can't see why that would be the case. I figure the birds will hold better and we can get closer shots. Just wondering really.

Chris

I'm heading out next friday, after the opener, and rain may be in the forecast. Do you guys hunt in the rain and if so how does your approach differ? Do you look for more shelter cover or does rain really affect the way the birds act. I've heard that some guys say it is pointless to hunt in the rain but I just can't see why that would be the case. I figure the birds will hold better and we can get closer shots. Just wondering really.

Chris

I slow way down....the birds do hold better, but your clothes get heavy in a hurry. Those that stick it out may be rewarded;)

I agree with Kansasbrittany, the birds will hold a little tighter so just slow down and let your pup work. I look at it this way, I can't hunt in my back yard so if I'm going to be in the field anyway, why let a little rain stop me. There's some really good light weight rain gear on the market and I put it to good use.

To me ,its according how hard it's raining.Light mist to gentle drizzle,find no problem.If its any harder then that,no thanks,IF you are walking chest high grass,it's no fun at all.If you where in stubble,or stalks,then no problem,except for the muddy roads.

I may be crazy but I like hunting in the rain. The dogs dont mind it either, at least mine don't. The worst part is those darn Kansas dirt roads. Bring plenty of gun oil for after the hunt.

I agree with what others have said, the roads gettin impassable is the biggest issue in the area that we hunt. A little rain helps the dogs and doesnt bother me, but if it gets too wet then we arent able to get to our spots w/o tearing up the roads which isnt a good thing to do

I hate getting wet. So if theres really heavy dew I'll sleep in, and if its raining I'll find something else to do.

Probably one of the reasons I stick to Western KS is the fact I like sand and hate the mud.

Megan, my Griff, loves hunting in the rain/snow. My only problem is my eye glasses. They can be a real problem in wet weather.

hunting in the rain or a snow storm seperates the diehards from the wonnabees I like hunting in inclamite weather and so do the dogs I one a couple trials becouse of rainy conditions break out the frogg toggs and role out to get some birds

If it ain't pouring I like hunting, Pheasants don't like to get wet either, and if you can find some good overhead cover you'll be done quickly, pines are the best.
What I don't like is rain and a temp. around freezing the dog gets cold.:cheers:

rainy day hunt

To say the dirt roads get slick is an understatement! You can ruin an entier day and then some in a hurry in wet Kansas weather - and be aware of rain with an overnight freeze then a daytime thaw...you came back to the truck and have an "ah hell" moment.

yeah, the roads can get pretty bad. Obviously there are some places you can get to off better roads.

On another note. Everyone likes a bluebird sunny day with snow on the ground what do the birds act like in snow vs. dry?

Chris

The best method I've found is to strip naked and walk from the high point in the CRP down to the birds. While they are laughing about obvious shrinkage issues, I let them have it:) Let me know where you'll be hunting Chris and I'll bring my camera with the really big lens!!!

The best method I've found is to strip naked and walk from the high point in the CRP down to the birds. While they are laughing about obvious shrinkage issues, I let them have it:) Let me know where you'll be hunting Chris and I'll bring my camera with the really big lens!!!

You should probably bring the wide angle lens to get the whole picture:D

I have hunted many times in rain, drizzle, sprinkles, etc... haven't done a lick of good. I have learned my lesson and now stay home on wet days. Birds don't fly--must just run. Because I have hunted the same land during the same season and seen 150 birds to go hunt it with moisture coming down to not get a single bird up. My stay home or drive around scouting if you have 4x4.

Seperating the Golfers from the Pheasant Hunters

Well I don't know about you guys, but I don't drive 250 miles, to forfeit the match and go home wasting one of 11 weekends of the entire season. There's a post on the main forum where somebody compares us to golfers, for crying out loud! Well a golfer will drive 250 miles and forfeit the match and sit in the car, rather than hunt a wild pheasant. I've shot my share of soggy pheasants over the years, beats sitting at home watching the golfers in Palm Springs.

Two words. WHEEL SPEED" Lol. I absolutely hate nasty roads but it comes with the territory. Last year on the last day of the season we had a terrible day with 40mph wind sleet sideways, mud, rain, couldn't see and then we hit a waterway that had 15 foot high cane and stalks and 6 of us surrounded it and got at least 2-4 birds apiece out of it. We actually forgot where each bird fell or flew to, it probably took 1/2 hour to find and pick the birds up. It was worth it.

Back