Hunting Bibs - UNINSULATED, with waterproof membrane?

Chestle

Years ago, back when Cabela's actually sold decent hunting clothing, I bought some bibs that were uninsulated and had some goretex type membrane that keeps the wind out and keeps you dry. They were actually marketed to deer hunters so the polyester fabric was soft and quiet...and picks up every kind weedy hitchhiker seed it touches. Nonetheless, they make a great combo when used with a light pair of long underwear for pheasant hunting. I wore this setup in SD when the temps were well below freezing and was very comfortable. I should have bought two.

Anyone know of a company selling uninsulated bibs with a wind/water membrane of some sort? I found nothing at Cabelas/Bass/Bean/Orvis/Scheels/Sportsman's Guide.

John:
Doesn't Carthart offer something similar? You might try REI. This sounds like a fishing outfit vs hunting.

I'll cast about and see what I find.

Jon

John,

Here are some additional suggestions. Duluth Trading, Dickies and Northern Tool. Fleet Farm sells them - not sure they are sold via the internet.

Last edited:
Nightlite has some bibs that are waterproof and briar resistant that are really durable I hear. I have a pair from the original makers of this type from Wicks Outdoors that I bought in 1986 that I still use, not sure the Nightlite version as durable as the Wicks brand.

DD74....GOOD LEAD! They have two to choose. Both uninsulated, zip to waist for boots. One with 1000 Denier facing, the other with double layer. Called them to see what the double layer fabric might be. I have to call back when the warehouse is open. Definitely possibles. Also looks like it may not have a front zipper, a downer for those of us older guys. Price is right though. Under $90. I saw a pair of insulated Sitka today for $599!!!! Yikes!

<EDIT> DD74? USS Manley? Or some other significance?

DD74....GOOD LEAD! They have two to choose. Both uninsulated, zip to waist for boots. One with 1000 Denier facing, the other with double layer. Called them to see what the double layer fabric might be. I have to call back when the warehouse is open. Definitely possibles. Also looks like it may not have a front zipper, a downer for those of us older guys. Price is right though. Under $90. I saw a pair of insulated Sitka today for $599!!!! Yikes!

<EDIT> DD74? USS Manley? Or some other significance?
Glad to help, hope it works out for you and good hunting!

Yes, Dan's has a nice pair. I'm trying to decide between Dan's, Nite Lite and there's one site out there that says they have the original Wicks. But it's been a good lead/search. Now...I'm an old guy...should I buy two pair? :)
I would buy the Wicks brand, where did you find them ?

I found an excellent pair of bibs at Stonecreekhounds.com. Been wearing them in SD for 3 years now. Water proof, warm and best of all nothing stick to them. Since I bought them several my buddies bought a pair and the farmer I hunt with bought a pair and uses them all the time including birthing calves, says you just wash them off with a hose. Heavy duty zippers and great pockets. 400 denur nylon best purchase I've made in a while. I think they were about $145

I think you want some mil surplus. I bought a couple pairs that are goretex bibs in camo for cheap. Maybe from Sportsmansguide I htink.

Back