Hunters Ed

Gremlin

I am looking at taking a hunters education course in Colorado.

I would prefer to do a "home study". The CPW site says contact instructors about that. I contacted one, and he didn't do it, and said to contact the CPW :)

If you know of any instructors who do that, please let me know.

The other alternative that I'd consider right now, is the Internet Based study course. There are 3 or 4 sites to choose from. Can anyone suggest one of these sites or have any feedback on them?

I've been hiking, and fishing my whole life. Team sports used to take up a lot of my time, but I've decided to to keep fishing, hiking, but now hunt.

thanks
Gremlin

If you live in the Denver area I would suggest going to CDOW directly on Broadway and spend the two days in class and get it over with. They run classes pretty regularly.

Even if you take an online course you will still have to go to a range and do the live fire part of the training.

I personally prefer someone talking and interacting than staring at a computer screen........ Nothing like a live instructor.

Last edited:
just curious why you want to take it online or at home?
for the record, my son and I both took it here in IL and never touched a gun. Listened to guys up front hold and talk about their guns and then took a test that they made sure everyone passed. There was a 6 y/o girl in the class that couldnt answer anything without help...she passed.:confused:

I hear y'all....my younger brother down in Texas seems to think he does not have the "time" to take the class in person, but instead believes he can take it on-line :confused:

I told him just buck up, take the two days to do it. I know for myself, while completing my degree I had to take a class on-line and I absolutely hated it :mad: because I like the in person, butt in seat type of learning.....some people learn differently though, i.e. visual, auditory, etc...

I wish you luck Gremlin....my now 14yr old son took it when he was 11 almost 12 and I sat through the class with him. It was a nice refresher for me :thumbsup::10sign:

Greg

Here is the link to the main Hunter's Ed page....everything you need to know right here!

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/HunterEducation/Pages/HuntEd.aspx

Includes the link to the on-line portions, where you read modules, test & print the results out, then schedule the classroom time. In Colorado, you MUST attend the instructors classroom time, test and shooting. (I believe there is something like a 6 hour minimum classroom time requirement) My buddy took one two years ago, where 4 people out of 10 failed! So it depends on the instructor!

Here is the link to the instructors schedules and what type. If you go through the internet based modules, you must schedule one of the internet based classes.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/HunterEducation/CourseCalendar/Pages/HECalendar.aspx

And lastly, here is the link to the "CRASH" course info, which is designed for those out of staters who need to have one in 8 hours! IT IS ONLY A TEMPORARY HUNTER"S SAFETY CERT! ...must be scheduled within one week of the hunt!

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/HunterEducation/CRASHCourses/Pages/HECrash.aspx

To answer some of the questions: I would prefer some type of home study over an internet option, or a class. I feel I learn better that way.

I already went to the CPW website, and that is why I was asking about recommendations on the various internet options. I was hoping someone had experience with them.

This should not be taken that I don't feel Hunter Ed is important.

If anyone has an instructor they can recommend, that would be helpful also.

thanks

my 2 boys, 10 and 8 years old took the hunter education class last week, 2 days with my boys in the class room, i kept on smacking them to pay attention. lol, how ever they the both pass. now the wallet open for the gear :-(

Congrats to the boys and the Dad who is getting them involved!:thumbsup: Need to find some hand me downs until they slow down growing!!

Back