Hunt the Cheyenne River Reservation?

Plannerman

Anyone hunt the Cheyenne River Reservation for upland birds??? Assuming non-tribal members can purchase licenses.

As a matter of fact I've hunted Grouse on the Rez the last 2 yrs from the end of Sep to the 1st of Oct for ten days. I live in Oklahoma but have a trailer at Bob's Resort and stay there while hunting. I average about 1 - 1 1/2 birds a day. Being a poor shot doesn't help your average. Some days limit, some days skunked. I walk both the hills near the river and some flatter land further away. Getting permission has been quite easy I have found. I just drive hwy 212 and when I see an area I would like to hunt I'll find a farm house and stop and ask. Never have been turned down. I really enjoy the hunting on the Reservation. Shot a few Chickens but mainly sharptails. The licence is $80.00 (for non-tribal) and you can purchase it on line, or in-person at their headquarters in Eagle Butte, or over the phone and they will take a pic and text it to you, that's the way I do it, over the phone.
Grouse and pheasant licencing are two separate costs. Never hunted pheasants on the Rez, did see a lot while hunting Grouse near an unincorporated town called Promise, South of 212.
Good luck.

One other thing I forgot to mention, you do not need an Indian guide, it is all self guided. Also, was stopped by the Rez game Warden who checked my licence the first year. A big ole boy but friendly. The first words out of his mouth were "can I see your licence." I thought he might of said are you having any luck or have you seen any Grouse or good morning.
Nope, all business..

One other thing I forgot to mention, you do not need an Indian guide, it is all self guided. Also, was stopped by the Rez game Warden who checked my licence the first year. A big ole boy but friendly. The first words out of his mouth were "can I see your licence." I thought he might of said are you having any luck or have you seen any Grouse or good morning.
Nope, all business..
Haha, I've met him. I deer hunt in the Ridgeview area. Was driving down 212 with my rifle in the gun rack on the front of the 4 wheeler and he was coming from the other direction, veers across the highway and asks, "Whatcha doin?"

Me, "Just headed out to see if I can find a deer."

He asks, "You huntin' state or tribal?"

I said, "State."

He pulls away and shouts, "Good luck." out the truck window.

I bought a Rez license a few years back because it wasn't too far away; that year I was doing a decent amount of hunting around Gettysburgh and just west of there. For some reason I'm forgetting most of the details (getting older sucks) but I won't do the Rez hunt again. I didn't think it was worth it. As Golden Hour mentioned, I was mostly along 212, Ridgeview and Eagle Butte areas, and it wasn't worth it for me. The public land wasn't great as I recall.

One thing to note; the rules are a little different on the Rez, you may want to check that out. Somebody can correct me but I'm pretty sure there is NO "Road Hunting" on the Rez; better not be caught shooting anywhere near your vehicle. Maybe someone who knows can add more detail but the rules ARE a little different on the Rez, just make sure you know

Thanks for the information, not much into the road hunting, rather hike with my dog. Just looking at some future options and areas with decent bird populations/opportunity...moreso sharptail than pheasant.

No road hunting allowed. Plenty of birds but you have to work for them. If you do it right your "dogs will be hurting" at the end of the day. A problem w/all Grouse hunting is that they normally flush 50 - 60+ yds ahead, but occasionally they will hold for you. I found it to be a blast the last couple of years.

Back