Hunt results Saturday

MAB7799

Had one of the best quail hunt's I've ever had this weekend. Dogs were on the ground at 8:00 and by 10:00 we had 4 coveys. My dog tore her pad so she had to go in the truck, which left us with one young dog who had only been on wild birds once and then another setter who was seasoned and knew the deal. Got to see the lights turn on for the young dog. After my other friend left it was just the young dog on the ground and she got to point 2 coveys and work singles. She did not bump a bird all afternoon and got to have 6 birds shot over her off point.

Only actually hunted about 3.5 hrs but had 7 coveys for the day. Had a brand new gun, which apparently I can't shoot worth a lick. On the 4 covey rises I think I only hit 1 bird haha. Did better in the afternoon and doubled on another covey rise.

The coolest thing for me was the cover that the farmer had. I've been hunting this piece for 15 years and every year the farmer plants milo in this field (200 acres roughly). He doesn't really rotate the crops (just fertilizes), but this year he planted milo and then in other sections had a cover crop which was a combination of sunflower, milo, corn, beans, and several other forbs/etc. (he puts cows out in it) 17 diff things in this blend but holy cow the birds were thick! I've never seen a farmer plant cover crop before but the quail obviously love it and the coveys we saw were all 20+ bird coveys.

I'll post the video once I have it made, but it's pretty embarrassing to see my terrible shooting.... especially after going 8/9 the weekend before! Shot a round of skeet with the new gun yesterday to try and get more familiar with it. Have off work Wednesday so hopefully I can redeem myself when we go out. Gotta put boots on the dog until this one pad heals. Keeps having trouble with this one foot, the others are fine, but this one keeps giving her trouble.

Steve & Mark - you both are from around Topeka and Manhattan?

Wife and I moved the family up here for a business opportunity a couple months ago. If you're ever up for a beer, would be glad to buy and meet a fellow bird dogger.

If you know of any houses with some acreage around Topeka let me know. We've been looking for a month or so - not much out there in the price range we're looking.

Just be glad your not looking for acreage around Manhattan...

Pretty expensive around there? I'm blown away what folks want for complete shXt ground - worthless as ag, and nothing but a fire hazard with the cedars. Must be plenty of fools and their money around here or folks are privy to something I'm not.

That and construction practices are a joke - no one knows how to install quality lap siding so even new $300k plus houses have trailer house 4x8 sheets of masonite on them. I've laughed at what some of the realtors have shown me and what a couple builders try to pass off as custom or higher end - it's really a joke.

Sorry to get off topic - great videos guys.

My wife and I went through the same thing about 5 years ago. We ended up in Jefferson county as the land was a little more affordable. Ended up with a fixer upper farm house on a 40. We’re now 5 years into a remodel. It took us quite a while to find something and even then it wasn’t what we wanted. Our land is fantastic though. Good luck to you.

Steve & Mark - you both are from around Topeka and Manhattan?

Wife and I moved the family up here for a business opportunity a couple months ago. If you're ever up for a beer, would be glad to buy and meet a fellow bird dogger.

If you know of any houses with some acreage around Topeka let me know. We've been looking for a month or so - not much out there in the price range we're looking.

I am in Manhattan

Sunday - Tuesday Hunt Results

Two of us with two dogs hunted NC KS for the first time earlier this week. Sunday was purely public land - walked allot on really nice cover and flushed one small covey (8 birds). Knocked on allot of doors and found it difficult to find landowners. We did locate one farmer who granted us permission and we hunted his land Monday/Tuesday. We had excellent hunting both days with 8 covey's Monday and 6 coveys Tuesday. These coveys where between 12 and what seemed like 25 birds - very healthy. Flushed 25 pheasants (mainly out of range) but did have several nice points and got one rooster. I was really pleased with the number of covey's and the size of the covey's. These covey's remain large as our shooting was subpar! (windy).

Just got back from 5 days in NC Kansas. Hunted private the entire time. Didn't find near the number of birds I expected. Getting singles pointed difficult and the amount of time spent hunting dead birds lengthy.
Very dry and windy, but that beginning to sound like an excuse based on some of the the other reports I'm reading on here.

Back