Hug your dog

dukhnter7

Life can change in a heartbeat. I was hunting with some new guys that I met through a friend. My dog was the only dog in the field on Sunday morning. As I whistled my dog back to me, a covey of quail exploded behind him. The guy to my right took a shot and my dog dropped. He didn't make it out of the field. Just like that my life changed. Those of you that run dogs know that feeling when you bump the collar and burn your dog by accident. That is all I could think of as he looked at me trying to breath. I whistled him back and he was coming only to get shot. He looked at me as if to ask "what did I do wrong?"
It's going to be a long time before I can get back in the field.

Red Label Kennels Consuming Fire Jack 4X Grand Master Pointing Retriever

Rest in Peace little man. You deserve it!

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, I honestly don't even know what to say. I'm sure he had a great life hunting with you and the good memories made will always be with you. Thoughts and prayers out to you and your family, losing a dog is just as tough as losing a family member, they are family.

Wow, that is really tough. Very sorry. Thanks for posting as a reminder to us all to cherish pets and those around us, and to hunt safe.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. May he chase birds in eternity....

That is a devastating story. I am stunned to read what transpired. I am so sorry for your loss. Just horrible.

Life can change in a heartbeat. I was hunting with some new guys that I met through a friend. My dog was the only dog in the field on Sunday morning. As I whistled my dog back to me, a covey of quail exploded behind him. The guy to my right took a shot and my dog dropped. He didn't make it out of the field. Just like that my life changed. Those of you that run dogs know that feeling when you bump the collar and burn your dog by accident. That is all I could think of as he looked at me trying to breath. I whistled him back and he was coming only to get shot. He looked at me as if to ask "what did I do wrong?"
It's going to be a long time before I can get back in the field.

Red Label Kennels Consuming Fire Jack 4X Grand Master Pointing Retriever

Rest in Peace little man. You deserve it!

Nothing can be said to ease your pain. Devastating for not only you, but I'm sure as well for the guy who pulled the trigger. Time will heal the pain and the good memories of you and your hunting companion will live on.

Godspeed.

I am literally sick to my stomach right now! I can't imagine how you are feeling. That image will never leave your brain. Never stop telling the story, remember to keep talking about the good memories you had with that dog, and in time the memories will ease the pain and fondness of what that dog did will bring comfort.

My heart goes out to you dukhnter7. I cannot begin to imagine the range of emotions that you experienced that fateful day. I have always thought about what I would do if this were to happen to me and I can honestly say that I don't know how I would react.
As others have said, remember the good times and the joy your boy brought to you.

I read this yesterday and just couldn’t type a reply. Didn’t know what to say and I still don’t other than I can’t imagine what that would have been like to experience. Let the thoughts of all the good times with your dog be the lasting memory you carry forward. I’m so sorry to hear this.

Godspeed, my dog passed quietly in our motel room over night in December, while on a hunting trip........he was 13.
Your loss is great, we all understand.

Losing a dog to illness or old age is tough, but to lose a dog like you did has to be devastating. I know none of us can even imagine the pain. Just know that we are all with you and praying that time will heal. God Bless!

Chris,
Words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. I have lost my share of labs over the years, however none to something so tragic. My prayers are with you and your family.

God bless you.....

Greg

That is a wonderful thing to have to remember him by. He was a great dog and always will be.

Thank you for sharing.

I knew this would be sad when I opened the thread, but this is completely heartbreaking. So sorry for this traumatic loss.

I wish you all the peace you can find wherever you seek it. With loved ones, by posting here, your videos, your memories...

Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Dave

Very tragic story Chris! I don't think any amount of time will truly ease your pain. Tragedies like this can happen way too often. I think your story should be shared throughout the hunting community and published in Gun dog and hunting magazines to at least make people more aware in hopes it will somehow limit the bad decisions some people make wielding their firearms.These dogs are part of our families and we invest in them like a son or daughter. Keep your memories close!

Thank you guys for all of the support. I'll admit that I hate clicking on topics like this but I appreciate that you guys took the time to read it and hopefully some good will come of this. I'm trying to change my focus from what I have lost and try to concentrate on celebrating what I had. There are still a lot of little things that set me off and I break down but every day is a little better.

Thanks!

Back