How wet is it in the eastern part of ND?

I am looking to hunt in the eastern part of ND. Are the fields too wet to start planting? Will the past storms cause problems come pheasant season?

Bird shooter,
I have not been in that neighborhood since Dec. but the best thing that could have happened was getting some moisture. With alot of areas hayed or grazed there was not much cover. I would assume crops are going in late but I am not for sure.

The Spring is running about 2 weeks later then usual, including crops being planted.
In the long run I think it's good for pheasants. Delayed nesting is a good thing. Not as likely to have one of those cold wet spells while the hen is on the nest or with a young brood.
Might not be as much corn planted up as predicted. Crop insurance deadline for corn will stop the planting. Farmers will then go with Soybeans or Sunflowers.

I hope the farmers will be able to get a good hay crop this year. I have seen too many years when the ditches and Plots areas are mown during dry spells. With reduced CRP acres it is getting harder to find good habitat.

I'm worried about the hatches with how wet the spring was. I don't think hay will be a problem, as many farmers are planting oats or sorgum/millet for hay on fields they could not get a grain crop in on.

Back