how to get a dog started using quail

gps4

I've got a 14 wk old lab and ready to start working her with live birds. I live in Mississippi and we do not have very many opportunities to put dogs on wild birds.

I was hoping to get pigeons to begin training with, but haven't had any luck with my pigeon traps.

This past weekend I picked up 10 pen raised quail from a friend on the other side of the state. would anyone like to recommend any tips, methods, processes,etc. to introduce the puppy to the bird and proven drills I should use to work her on finding them, flushing them, and of course retrieving them to hand?

I will be combing the message boards and watching videos on youtube, but thought it couldn't hurt to get input from the bird dog training board.

thanks in advance.

I've got a 14 wk old lab and ready to start working her with live birds. I live in Mississippi and we do not have very many opportunities to put dogs on wild birds.

I was hoping to get pigeons to begin training with, but haven't had any luck with my pigeon traps.

This past weekend I picked up 10 pen raised quail from a friend on the other side of the state. would anyone like to recommend any tips, methods, processes,etc. to introduce the puppy to the bird and proven drills I should use to work her on finding them, flushing them, and of course retrieving them to hand?

I will be combing the message boards and watching videos on youtube, but thought it couldn't hurt to get input from the bird dog training board.

thanks in advance.
I would say buy this work book ( http://bcsetterpress.com/) and start at the beginning. Plenty needs done before the birds become important.

At this early age the main thing I use live birds for is gun intro. Pull the flight feathers on 1 wing and let the pup chase the bird, tackle the bird, pretty much anything but eat it. Do not expect him to retrieve. I would have him on a check cord so if he runs out and grabs the bird you can slowly reel him in. DO NOT be in a hurry to take the bird, rub his belly, love him up, and let him enjoy his prize for a while before you take it. When he's crazy for this game have a buddy stand 100 yards away with a starter pistol or .22 rifle and fire a shot while pup is chasing bird, if pup shows no reaction have your buddy move 10 yards closer and shoot again and so on and so on. Rinse and repeat till he's within5-10 yards. Now do the whole process over with a 20 gauge low base. Then a 20 gauge high base. Then a 12 low followed by a 12 high base. If pup ever shows a reaction more significant than a quick glace to the gunshot back up and slow down. This may take a couple days or a couple weeks. The goal is to have a bird crazy dog that associates gunshots with birds. I attached a video of a 10 week old pups first pigeon. The next day we started shooting. Took 3-4 days and bird and gun intro was done. And I know I didn't have a check cord on him. This pup has since earned AA Field Trial points, NAHRA high point upland dog in the Nation (2018) and 2020 Minnesota Pheasant open winner.

thanks in advance.
I don't know how serious you want to get about training or how old the dog is your working with. You might consider a call back pen.

Back