How to decide on a breed

fishinbrad

I lost my 5 year old English Pointer named Tavy over the weekend to an enlarged heart that ultimately led to a heart attack. Fortunately, she went quickly, and didnt suffer a long drawn out ordeal. Her last hunt was Feb. 1, and she did an awesome job! Her picture is below.

attachment.php

I'm deadset on getting another bird dog, so I will be able to hunt (hopefully) this fall. Not 100% sure on the breed though. My delima is this: I did not have to train this girl, as she was a year and a half old rescue when i got her and was already very well trained. Question is, which of the following breeds are "easiest" to train? Not loking for a show dog, nor a field trial dog, i just want a hunting buddy for quail, pheasants, and possibly to retrieve doves.

The breeds I am considering are as follows:
  • another EP (but I'm afraid I will not be happy with it and compare it to my girl Tavy),
  • GSP
  • Weimaraner (if i can find a good hunting dog breeder)
  • Visla
  • Pointing Lab (Hunted behind one a few years ago and was AMAZED!)

Help me out and give me some pros and cons behind each. Please lets stick to the ones on the list though... Thanks!

Would recommend dropping the weimaraner breed and adding a Golden Ret. to the mix. Also consider Brittany's...

Would recommend dropping the weimaraner breed and adding a Golden Ret. to the mix. Also consider Brittany's...

I would consider a brittany, or golden, but wifey doesn't like long haired dogs...

I am considering the Weimaraner, because I had one years ago, and she was a great pet (not a hunting dog at all). In reality, whatever I get will be a pet 325 or so days a year, so I guess I should add "Couch Potato" to their resume...:)

Did you say that you wanted a started dog? Not many started Vizslas out there, but there are a few.

Not necessarily sure what the true meaning of "started" is, but I would like one that is gonna be easy for a simpleton like myself to work with...

Not necessarily sure what the true meaning of "started" is, but I would like one that is gonna be easy for a simpleton like myself to work with...

Started depends on who you ask, but has been introduced to gunfire, birds, etc.etc. Something that you could start hunting with right away.

One thing I notice, is when new people on this site, ask a question, they already have pre-conseived ideas, and don't want advice, just a affirmation of what they intended to do. So I swear, I am not going to debate birddogs, birddog breeders, makes and models of incubators, shotguns, shells, even where I might send a hunter, tactics that were successful in the past, over eons of seasons. My advice leave it alone! I'm going out to discuss tiling, drainage, with farmers!

One thing I notice, is when new people on this site, ask a question, they already have pre-conseived ideas, and don't want advice, just a affirmation of what they intended to do. So I swear, I am not going to debate birddogs, birddog breeders, makes and models of incubators, shotguns, shells, even where I might send a hunter, tactics that were successful in the past, over eons of seasons. My advice leave it alone! I'm going out to discuss tiling, drainage, with farmers!

Wow! That's one way to put it! What I would like to reiterate from my initial post is that I asked for opinions about the breeds listed based on your experiences. The only preconceived notion that I have is that I would like a dog that is similar to what I had.

I lost my 5 year old English Pointer named Tavy over the weekend to an enlarged heart that ultimately led to a heart attack. Fortunately, she went quickly, and didnt suffer a long drawn out ordeal. Her last hunt was Feb. 1, and she did an awesome job! Her picture is below.

attachment.php

I'm deadset on getting another bird dog, so I will be able to hunt (hopefully) this fall. Not 100% sure on the breed though. My delima is this: I did not have to train this girl, as she was a year and a half old rescue when i got her and was already very well trained. Question is, which of the following breeds are "easiest" to train? Not loking for a show dog, nor a field trial dog, i just want a hunting buddy for quail, pheasants, and possibly to retrieve doves.

• another EP (but I'm afraid I will not be happy with it and compare it to my girl Tavy),
  • GSP
  • Visla

Help me out and give me some pros and cons behind each. Please lets stick to the ones on the list though... Thanks!

What's wrong with dancing with the one that brought you so to speak and get another Pointer? Do your homework and find a Pointer breeder whose taste matches yours. Besides, in my opinion if you aren't going to consider the best (English Setter) what difference does it really make? :D

Don't think you listed the easiest to train, but among those listed I would first scratch off Weimaraner and Vizla and pick from the remainder.

I would consider a brittany, or golden, but wifey doesn't like long haired dogs...

A Brittany isn't necessarily a long-haired dog. My Brittanys shed a lot less than some of the breeds you are looking at. Especially a Lab, they are the worst. Any my last Brittany has a short, flat coat that never need trimming and does not collect burrs. You have to look at the breeding and my breeder breeds for coats like that. Coats will vary greatly within any breed.

attachment.php

• GSP
  • Visla

Nice looking dog, sorry for your loss. Never easy dealing with the loss of a loved one. Doesn't matter what breed you pick, you will find your self comparing it to Tavy at times, especially if she was your first. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Her memory will always live within you, and that is human nature to cherish what we love. Just have to appreciate all the good qualities of your new companion.
By the way, noticed the English stock on your gun. Have Browning Citori 20 ga with same.
All the best.

Last edited:
A Brittany isn't necessarily a long-haired dog. My Brittanys shed a lot less than some of the breeds you are looking at. Especially a Lab, they are the worst. Any my last Brittany has a short, flat coat that never need trimming and does not collect burrs. You have to look at the breeding and my breeder breeds for coats like that. Coats will vary greatly within any breed.

I would agree with Zeb, you will have less hair in your house withna britt than you would with one of those nasty labs:D.

Hope you don't run in to any farmers with pre-conceived notions on tiling or drainage:D Sure there are a few out there.

My buddy has a Lab and says he can fill a garbage bag every week with the hair it sheds. Don't let the length of hair fool you. My Britt sheds very little actually.

My buddy has a Lab and says he can fill a garbage bag every week with the hair it sheds. Don't let the length of hair fool you. My Britt sheds very little actually.

I would say a garbage bag is an exaggeration. More like a sandwich bag. A furminator and 10 bucks a week to the twelve year old daughter solves it pretty well.

Hope you don't run in to any farmers with pre-conceived notions on tiling or drainage:D Sure there are a few out there.

My point exactly. If you have what you want.... why change? If there are specfic performance items you want more of, better retreive, closer contact, better couch dog, make a different selection. I was just teasing a little bit, with some truth, we have questions for advice all the time, in the forums, but after 5-6 people tell them from experience to try another track, then they truimphantly post that they did what precisely what everybody advised not too! Who knows it might work out differently, farmers who tile and drain, might save the world too!

Back