How far away do you think a dog can smell a bird

duckn66

I was PC hunting today and one of my 1 year old EP's locked up just hard in the middle of the field. There was a pretty good north wind blowing and we were hunting into the wind.

I never flushed anything. Do you suppose the bird could have been a ways away?

How far away have your dogs pointed birds before?

I've seen my brothers female wind a bird on the other side of about a 25yd wide canal, jump in, swim over and flush the bird back towards us. Maybe not as far away as you're thinking but it was very impressive none the less.

Last edited:
Under the right conditions you would be surprised how far.
In that video I posted PC hunting, Indy was 25-30 yards from the fence, and the PC got up a good 30 yards on the other side of the fence. Now the bird could have run some but .....

I have had dogs point pigeons in a launcher from more than 60 yards.
Then the next day they run right by them..... go figure :thumbsup:

Jump shooting ducks with my dogs on heal if the wind is right a lot of times I know if there is going to be ducks long before we get to the water.

I don't think 100 yards would be to far in good conditions.

According to a young lady I attempted to purchase a pup from 5-6 years ago, her dogs could smell dead things from a mile away (she meant that in a literal way):rolleyes:. Then she just told-me-off for even asking what kind of noses her breeder dogs had. lol

Didn't get my pup from her.:)

I would have to agree about the conditions. With the the right humidity and wind conditions, coupled with the dog hitting the scent cone just perfect, it could be a long way. Dry windy conditions and a dog could run right by em.

Several factors in play: whether the bird is moving or stationary; if stationary, length of time stationary; relative humidity; air movement. If there is gentle air movement, I imagine there is strong scent stream for quite some distance from a stationary bird.

Last edited:
david0311

Several factors in play: whether the bird is moving or stationary; if stationary, length of time stationary; relative humidity; air movement. If there is gentle air movement, I imagine there is strong scent stream for quite some distance for a stationary bird.

All off the above---And no doubt in my mind --at least--that the type/and even sex of the same type of bird can make a big difference--JMO

Under the right conditions you would be surprised how far.
In that video I posted PC hunting, Indy was 25-30 yards from the fence, and the PC got up a good 30 yards on the other side of the fence. Now the bird could have run some but .....

I have had dogs point pigeons in a launcher from more than 60 yards.
Then the next day they run right by them..... go figure :thumbsup:

man that is spot on!! the thing that eats at me steve is one day his tail is 10oclock and the next its 12 just eats at me must be how much scent he is hitting I love when you talk bird hunting you do know your bird hunting but football you drive me nuts lol

I'd have to say about 300 miles :eek: based on all the chatter on the KS having no bird syndrone. I guess my dogs are smellin them birds from NE:D:D

Back