How do you store your frozen game and fish

Bob Peters

I was just wondering for those who freeze birds and fish fillets, what's your favorite method? I've been thinking of getting a vacuum sealer and trying it out. I don't have a big chest freezer, so space is sometimes at a premium.

I use an old Food Saver for game, meat, cheese, left overs, etc... I use it so frequently that it has its own spot on the kitchen counter. I buy the bag rolls on Amazon for a significant savings versus what you would pay for the name brand bags, and they work just as well. For fish I still use the zip lock/water/squeeze the air out method.

I'm sure the newer vacuum sealers do a better job with fish. I know mine is at least 15 years old. When the one I'm using seals it's last bag, I will replace it immediately.

I use both the vacuum sealer and the ziploc/water/no air method. Both work just fine. I seem to find duck/pheasant at the bottom of the freezer that's 3 years old or so and might have to cut off a couple specks of freezer burn, but I've never had to chuck anything that I can recall.

Vacuum sealer for this guy too.

I will admit that I can't legally stock pile a large amount of fish or game birds though, so there isn't many in the freezer at one time. I've never had it in there for more than about 6 months. I don't eat much fish at all, and most of it gets eaten the same day or the day after so there's no point in freezing it.

Its the air inside the bag that will ruin your food. Not necessarily from a food safety stand point, but from a taste/quality stand point.

Last edited:
I converted to vacuum sealing a few years ago and have not looked back.

For deer/elk/antelope roasts (I never cut a steak until I'm ready to cook), it is plastic wrap and then freezer paper. Burger goes in the premade burger bags with the tape dispensor you press them in.

Fish and pheasant parts typically go in ziplock bags and water to displace the air.

Jerky and sausage I vacuum pack.

I generally do not like the vacuum bags. For me, they always seem to develop a pin-hole somewhere that allows air in. With pla

make sure they're wet, stick 'em in a sealable plastic bag, squeeze out the air, seal the bag, and throw them in the freezer. For best results, don't wait too long to enjoy them.

Vacuum sealer here too. I used to vacuum seal the whole breast (on the bone) but I cut the breast off the bone and then seal it to save freezer space. Usually 1-2 birds per bag. It only takes up a little bit of room in the freezer now compared to the whole breast. Then I write the date and where they came from on the bag just to keep track.

Vac seal is the only way to go for everything. We still use bags for ground ven/elk but everything else gets vacuum sealed.

Back