How do you cook your pheasants?

goldenboy

Okay, I was thinking the other day about what I am going to do for the next 10 months till I can chase those roosters around again. I was thinking about how I enjoy eating them especially the way my wife cooks them. Wondering how you guys cook them and your favorite recipes?

Here is our favorite that we eat ever year on Christmas Eve. My wife boils the birds until tender, with whatever seasoning she chooses. Then we pull the meat off the bones and chunk it into a consistency much like pulled pork. She then makes a white sauce with heavy whipping cream and half and half. Then we warm up the meat and gravy in a saucepan and pour over mashed potatoes. I hunt every year so that I can eat that meal at Christmas time!

What is your favorite recipe?

That's good stuff! I've only been at this a few years now. My two favorites so far would be making breaded & fried pheasant fingers. You can change the spices every time and it's delicious. Last year for NYE we did fondue and we made pheasant one of the choices. It was great.

This past year the old, old, old apple trees produced beyond memory. I stashed a bunch and used three or four apples each pheasant, sliced or quartered and stuffed the cavity of the bird and then surrounded it in a closed casserole dish. I then baked it for an hour at 350-400. Moist, tender, delicate taste, and cheap and easy. I tossed the apples out, but I'd imagine you could make a rough apple sauce if you skinned and cored them.

I used to used cream of musroom soup, but after a bit, that became...er...maybe too rich to have often.

Odd, as I think about it, but I really dislike the yellow fat on pheasants, and yet the fat on other meats really define the flavor.

Dice the meat, brown in a skillet with chopped green chilis and some diced onion. When the meat is done, remove the mixture and set aside. With a little olive oil in the pan, place a tortilla in the pan, spoon the mixture on 1/2 the tortilla, cover with shredded monterey jack cheese, fold the tortilla over. Flip once and let it brown and the cheese melt.

Serve the Pheasant quesadillas with a side of sour cream, guacamole or your favorite salsa!:cheers:

Boneless Buffalo pheasant "wings" cut up the breast dip in egg/beer mix then crushed Club crackers, deep fry 3 minutes at 350. The dip in 1/3 Frank's Red Hot Sauce, 1/3 butter, and 1/3 BBQ sauce.

Take the legs/thighs and put in the crock pot all day with some water. Unplug the crock pot and debone. Then use the meat to make enchiladas, recipe your choice.

NOW I AM HUNGRY! :eek:

The thighs go into pheasant gumbo, stew, and soup.

The breast get cut into chunks marinated in lemon juice and salt a short time (4 hours or less), and either go into a basket on the grill or get battered and fried.

I love pheasant soup and do a big pot at least once per month in the winter. Much better than chicken.

I have also done some Chinese stir fry lately. I cut the breasts into about 6-8 pieces (with bones) in stir fry with garlic, ginger root and add some some veggies when meat is almost done. A little soy, black rice vinegar, red chili/chili garlic paste/fermented beans and done.

I like doing with the bones in because it keeps the mean much more moist. Just cut through the bones with a big knife.

First, I age my pheasants by hanging them in the garage if the weather is cool enough. Then I filet the meat off the bone and soak it in salt water 24 -48 hours before cooking. I also poke fork holes in the myofascia side of the filets before brining.

My two favorite cooking methods:

1. Cut the breast meat in strips, coat with panko bread crumbs and your favorite seasonings, then fry in butter and oil until browned. Great alone or dipped.

2. Just like chicken marsala. I found a chicken marsala recipe on the internet that calls for both marsala wine and cooking sherry. Excellent. Serve over rice or pasta.

Smoked the last 2 with ome chukars. Then put them in a Pheasant/Chukar pot pie. Mnom-mn0m-mnon Very tasty

Back