How are the pheasant numbers this year in the SW

vrepola

Thinking of coming to Nebraska this week before Kansas opens. I haven’t been since 2017 and had a great time. How are the numbers this year?

Thinking of coming to Nebraska this week before Kansas opens. I haven’t been since 2017 and had a great time. How are the numbers this year?

terrible.....average hunter take on opening weekend was .40 bird per day, per hunter. save your money.

I can’t believe Kansas will be much better. Pheasants are way down in every state in the pheasant belt so far. Kansas is the last domino to fall.

Kinda what I figured. I don’t care about the money lol. I’m sure I will still leave tomorrow night and hunt until Friday morning. Then head to my favorite area of Kansas until Tuesday or so. It’s an obsession that I can’t control 😂.

I can’t believe Kansas will be much better. Pheasants are way down in every state in the pheasant belt so far. Kansas is the last domino to fall.

i am hoping there will be some decent areas with a few birds....it didn't rainout everywhere, always seems to be a few spots with birds, but will probably need to walk a lot to find them.
i am more concerned with the standing crops still out there....can't get a good feel for bird population until harvest is more complete.

terrible.....average hunter take on opening weekend was .40 bird per day, per hunter. save your money.

And we did worse than that last weekend. Skunked on Saturday, but killed a few on Sunday. It was our first time in the area though. Despite the poor results we'll probably go back. The dogs need a couple of warm up days before the Kansas opener.

Opening weekend was good to us. We saw a lot of birds and were finished early. Last weekend was so so. We headed East around McCook. We did run into some birds but it was few and far between. Plus with the temps in the mid 55’s the birds seemed spread out. Sunday was very uneventful. Flushed 4 hens and a lone far off rooster. I think the bird numbers are there we just need some cold weather to bunch them up.

Definately think the population is down, still alot of corn standing so sometimes hard to tell. Ran into a couple groups of guys saturday pm that had not fired a shot!! Wouldn't travel to SW Nebraska and expect to see alot of birds.

Well I went anyway. 2 days 5 birds in the bag. Thursday found decent numbers and limited very early. Today two birds by 8am then birds got very wild. There are birds in small pockets. Numbers are down for sure compared to previous years. Not bad for one guy

Well I went anyway. 2 days 5 birds in the bag. Thursday found decent numbers and limited very early. Today two birds by 8am then birds got very wild. There are birds in small pockets. Numbers are down for sure compared to previous years. Not bad for one guy

you did very well, hunting on your own.....congrats!

This thread ruined my week, getting ready to take my annual week after thanksgiving trip to McCook and west and I see this.

The last few years bird numbers were excellent, I guess I will just have to see for myself and update back.

Back