Hot Weather

This weather stinks. The dogs could hardly smell anything it was so dry and it's some really hard hunting when you only have two guys to hunt some of the fields that are 160 acres and plus. In the morning we decide to hunt 160 acres of private land and got up about 10 hens and 1 or 2 roosters. But we did get up a covey of quail and got one out of their. Then we went to some walk in hunting and didn't see squat. After that we went to another walk in area and got up 3 roosters and we hit one but couldn't find him which sucked. Once we were done their we headed to another walk in place that a guy that owned a controlled shooting area told us about. We got up one rooster and hit him and couldn't find him either. Then later on we hit two quail but could only find one. So it really sucks when you hit all of these birds and you can't find them to where it makes you want to quit but we stuck in their and didn't give up. But if we would have found all the birds we hit we would have ended up with 2 roosters and 4 quail but instead we only ended up with 3 quail. With better shooting we probably could have had one limit of pheasants and one limit of quail. Hopefully tomorrow will be better but so far the weather doesn't look like it will make things any easier. Did anyone else go out today? Also if anyone is hunting around Hutch and sees a Chevy Suburban with a silver dog box be sure to stop and say hi. We could maybe even get together and hunt.

I agree with you completely. October was so cool and now hunting season gets here and it's 70 degrees. The mornings aren't too bad out here in Western Kansas, but yesterday afternoon was terrible. I was hunting in a t-shirt and still sweating. Scenting conditions weren't good today. Looks like next weekend should be a little better as far as temps.

Not to mention that with the hot weather the birds are running like crazy and getting up pretty far away. I haven't had one bird get up within 25 yards of me so far. Hopefully December will bring much colder temps and tighter holding birds.

Back