Hosting New Hunter

BritChaser

I've agreed to host a middle-aged friend on his first bird hunt. The last time I hosted a stranger, he shot my dog! And he had been my dog's foster master to boot!

Asking for advice on how to bring along this nice guy so that he neither shoots my dog nor anyone else. All tips appreciated.

I've agreed to host a middle-aged friend on his first bird hunt. The last time I hosted a stranger, he shot my dog! And he had been my dog's foster master to boot!

Asking for advice on how to bring along this nice guy so that he neither shoots my dog nor anyone else. All tips appreciated.
Is he at all experienced/
If not a friendly but firm discussion on safety-you past tragedy my serve as a background-
I get new some new hunters-but most repeat at the lodge—
‘Standard saftery briefing-includes but not limited too-
1-Muzzels in the air at all times
2-no low shots-blue sky between land and bird
3-If at any time I shout NO!! Do not shoot UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!
4- You will not EVER SHOOT A BIRD ON THE GROUND!!
5- when loading firearm at the start or the end of the drive—turn away from other hunters/dogs while doing so
6-No firearms with chamber loaded while traveling—doubles broken-pumps slide back-autos bolt back shell holding bolt oped
7-If any doubt on safety DO NOT SHOOT—it’s only a damn bird
8-I should have said at the start of brief—I under stand they are mostly CEO-MD-ect—but I don’t care violation of safety will result in them -or me and my dog’s leaving the hunt-if anyone has a problem with that speak up now-and I’ll stay here
9-safety gear glasses-orange hat at least at all times
I say all this in a friendly but firm manner

I agree with all of the above that David said. One thing I say when I take newer hunters with me is "if you shoot my dog, I'm shooting you". I say it in a joking way, but I make sure to get the point across that I'm only half joking.

I also make sure that if they like to enjoy a cold beer at the tailgate at lunch that they keep it to just that so everyone is on their game (I say this as someone who definitely enjoys a cold beer at the tailgate on occasion).

I also typically try to hunt behind them. Not directly of course, but slightly behind and to the side that they don't swing their gun as easily. I figure I'll notice a big sweep or their body turning my direction easier.

And if you hunt over pointers, I let them walk up on the point and me stay behind knowing I'm not shooting no matter what. Then the next point I'll walk it up and tell them to not shoot no matter what. That this is my bird to shoot at. I go over those "instructions" ahead of time too but remind as it's happening.

I don't hunt over flushers but I'm sure you could come up with some similar method if you do.

That can be a little nerve racking when you got your 4 legged “ kids” in the field with you.. but good on you to show a friend what it’s all about. A lot of good advice here. Maybe shoot some clays together before season opens- a chance to size him up, see how he handles himself with a firearm. If he isn’t asking you how to load his gun and seems like he handles himself well🤣 maybe even out shoots you- it might be a good time to talk about how you and your dogs hunt, things that are important to you, etc etc.
Good luck and again I think it’s great you are exposing this man to upland hunting. We need more folks participating for this sport to survive.

Youre hunting over a pointy dog ? Might make it a bit easier?
Can you tell him that you’ll call the shot?
Orange vest on the pup?
Unloaded gun till ready to shoot?
Im just spit balling here…good luck

Any chance you can go to a preserve a few weeks before your wild bird hunt? Let him walk with you without a gun. Talk and teach the entire hunt on why your doing this, why you decided not to shoot, look where my gun is pointed….l etc etc. maybe let him shoot over a point with you standing behind him with again a little coaching.
He may then be more prepared than just handing him a 12 gauge for the first time.

I agree with the idea of shooting some clay targets before hand. Gun safety would be the emphasis with out introducing all the other stuff that goes with hunting.

You can then casually talk about the hunting side.

Gun safety is the most important aspect of any firearm related activity and I as well as most others feel very passionate about it. Let him know that rules may vary somewhat. I for example feel the firearm is fine if pointed “in a safe direction”, I don’t feel it has to be perfectly vertical. I hunted with a very experienced fellow that carried his shotgun horizontally, side to side. I made sure I was a step or two behind him and kept an eye on him. Didn’t make for an enjoyable hunt.

Some new shooters don’t think about keeping their fingers out of the trigger guard until taking the shot.

I like that idea about shooting a couple rounds of clays with them as well.
Sorry-I forgot about the clays??
we have a clay set up for all the hunters-before the hunt-\very important in my mind—You can easily pick out the individuals that may need counseling-and a more carful eye on in the field—just by the way they handle their firearms
Mc Farmer makes some points-I didn’t mean the muzzles had to be perfectly vertical-just not pointed anywhere near the ground-I also always walk behind the line of hunters to better observe-and if necessary close to anyone who may be a little suspect
I would not hunt with the guy won insisted on carrying his firearm horizontally!
im sure their are others here who will have some good pointers as well🙂

In addition to clays maybe another day you could take him on a dove hunt where the dog doesnt play such a big part.. Its funny last year I took my wife dove hunting and its been a few years. I told her the same thing I tell most everyone anymore and tbats don't shoot my dog. I don't know if she was more suprised or offended

" Don't shoot me, boys."

Hopefully this middle-aged new hunter has had his hunter safety course. Lots of good advice above..
The first hunt could be a practice hunt no gun involved? it's pretty exciting (for me) to watch a dog point and then the flush.

If not a friendly but firm discussion on safety-you past tragedy my serve as a background-
5- when loading firearm at the start or the end of the drive—turn away from other hunters/dogs while doing so
6-No firearms with chamber loaded while traveling—doubles broken-pumps slide back-autos bolt back shell holding bolt oped
8-I should have said at the start of brief—I under stand they are mostly CEO-MD-ect—but I don’t care violation of safety will result in them -or me and my dog’s leaving the hunt-if anyone has a problem with that speak up now-and I’ll stay here
Add #10 to the list: Safety is on until the bird flushes. Make certain they know RED is Ready to fire. Nice list Dave.

There's no law saying a gun must have shells in it. If he's got little/no experience carrying a gun, you could have him carry it unloaded for a while to become accustomed to basic gun/hunting safety. Or, you could leave your own gun in the truck in order to walk WITH the guy (not spread out) & give him full attention. I've done both these things with my kids.

Excellent. I will follow suit. Thank you.

the fact that you are even asking how to calm this guy down is not a good start.
no, don't take him, the karma is bad.
He's a calm person. But I want to prep him and the advice above is great. Thank you!

Back