Honoring point with a flusher.

BrownDogsCan2

Tips for training a flushing dog manners when working with a close working pointer when you don’t have a pointer to train with.
In the past I’ve rarely hunted with pointing dogs so it has never been much of a problem. On the rare outing we did when another dog went on point I would just call them back to me. Last year I hunted with more pointers 3 times , and my dog blew a point about once a trip.

Going forward I think I may be hunting with more pointing dogs . My bil got a pointing lab. I’d like to get out with carp and his pudelpointer. And others.
My dogs aren’t whoa broke obviously. I think a remote sit would be the the way to go? Somewhere I’ve seen a pointing dog silhouette. Corrugated plastic is cheap. Two cues are better than one. Better ideas?

Teach the dog to "Hup" or sit on a whistle.
That’s the plan. That Chesapeake is smart though she’ll figure out a point is an opportunity. Some of it is going to have be done live hunting. We are working on honoring retrieves with her and the Boykin. It wouldn’t be anything to throw a silhouette out and run by it on the way out and back to the truck. Maybe make it a little bit easier live. Or should I continue to to call them back so that they are not tempted to bust point or steal the pointing dogs retrieve.

I hunt pointers. From my point of view, having them sit would be optimal. If they are busting points, then that isn't fully trained on the sit part. Pulling the dog all the way in is inefficient and I personally like more dogs running for the retrieve in case the bird starts running. I don't go by which dog flushes is the one that retrieves. Although I really hate when one dog finds the bird if an owner lets their dog steal the bird that way.

If you are only hunting occasionally with pointers, then the recall would be the easier path, but sitting on command is useful anyways.

Whistle sit is the easiest, if your dog handles you all ready have it done.

Back