Home made video recommendations

I am enjoying watching self made videos on Youtube in the off season and was wondering if anyone had some that they follow and maybe describe a little about the content. I would recommend JCW Outdoors on Youtube. He is also a member on here. Golden Hour. He hunts with a lab. He has very good camera skills and a shot cam as well. He does a good job of showing the chase and not just the shot. He is very passionate about hunting and is genuine and real with his comments. He hunts mostly public land roosters. I personally don't care for the preserve videos. Just my personal preference, not bashing anyone. Anyone have other recommendations?
Thanks.

I sincerely appreciate the recommendation and kind words. Part of the reason I started doing YouTube videos is because there wasn't much out there for my style of hunting. But there are a couple that I really liked that got me motivated:

The Hunting Family - Used to be "wyomatt". He actually helped me tremendously when getting started and providing good feedback after my first few videos. He hunts with labs and hunts his in-laws property in the Presho area. Awesome habitat, tons of birds.

Snipehunter and CJR Outdoors - a couple guys doing the one man/one dog thing on public land. No BS, just hunting.

MinnDak Outdoors - These guys are primarily fishing, followed by waterfowl, but have some decent pheasant hunting videos. They were the first ones I remember seeing with pheasant hunting videos on YouTube.

lilbrowhydaw Channel - Something about a guy and a flusher on public land falls within my wheelhouse ;)

Tim Waggenman Upland - Really good content/commentary - Hunts with a couple pointers

The Bird Tales - Pointer hunting public land, often in MN, but travels around

Others worth checking out:
3D Outdoors, smallmunster, and a couple others that escape me right now.

I now watch all the videos GH posts here. He has the best coverage of hitting a rooster hard, the bird tumbles in the air, catches itself regaining control and flies away...ridiculous to have caught that on camera!!! No one would have believed it without seeing it. Love the edit-in of the shot cam takes. Just the sounds of the hunt and he seems to have done it enough that the cam isn't jerking all over the place. He has my vote for the best videos here. Keep posting them GH!

Snipehunter and CJR Outdoors - a couple guys doing the one man/one dog thing on public land. No BS, just hunting.

CJR Outdoors --- KLAUS is a DANDY a Pointer that Knows the command HEAL and BACK.

CJR Outdoors --- KLAUS is a DANDY a Pointer that Knows the command HEAL and BACK.
I’m always really impressed with Klaus, really enjoy his videos.

Another good one is TRPLC COOP. Runs multiple GSP’s and has really good dog work.

John Zeman...set a pretty good standard.......WHOOP...

He has the best coverage of hitting a rooster hard, the bird tumbles in the air, catches itself regaining control and flies away...ridiculous to have caught that on camera!!! No one would have believed it without seeing it.
If I want to start with this one, which episode is it?

I suggest Eric Forrester as well. He has several good dogs. Tubbs and Cici to name a couple, but Twig seems to be coming along nicely. He does a very good job of breaking down his hunts and dog work.

+1 for CJR Outdoors and Claus
+1 for JCW Outdoors and Sage

I have seen almost every pheasant hunting video on youtube! My wife is sick of it..

+1 for CJR Outdoors and Klaus
I watched one episode of each, enjoyed them both.
Have a bias towards CJR as I’m also a GSP guy, however a few f-bombs and such on the CJR video so couldn’t watch with my young ones.

I watched one episode of each, enjoyed them both.
Have a bias towards CJR as I’m also a GSP guy, however a few f-bombs and such on the CJR video so couldn’t watch with my young ones.
Yeah I agree with that one.. have had to quickly scramble for the mute button with my two little girls sitting right beside me after an unexpected f-bomb!

What I love about his videos is his excellent camera skills and the way he captures the whole hunting experience, not just the shot. He's truly passionate about hunting, and his authenticity shines through in his comments. He mainly hunts on public land for roosters, which adds an extra level of excitement.I'm not a big fan of preserve videos, but that's my preference. I enjoy the raw and genuine nature of hunting in the wild. If you have any other recommendations, feel free to share! And hey, I've been thinking about starting my own YouTube channel too. It's a great platform to share your interests and connect with like-minded individuals. I even found a website where you can buy youtube views instantly, and I'm thinking of giving it a try.

I suggest Eric Forrester as well. He has several good dogs. Tubbs and Cici to name a couple, but Twig seems to be coming along nicely. He does a very good job of breaking down his hunts and dog work.

+1 for CJR Outdoors and Claus

I have seen almost every pheasant hunting video on youtube! My wife is sick of it..
His Hell's Canyon videos are something else!

I can't seem to find Snipehunter on youtube, but other than that one channel I watch all the others that have been mentioned. JCW is excellent! I'm also partial to lilbrowhydaw's channel, as his dog resembles mine. I also follow Iowa Bird Chaser. He is attempting to take a rooster from every county in Iowa.

Last edited:
I do love a good pheasant hunt on youtube. It's a nice way to learn a lot and see different parts of the pheasant range. Without trying to be overly critical, here's two boo boo's I remember seeing. The first one was on a rooster road trip video. A bird gets up and a couple hunters unload on it. Then the guy breaks open his O/U, catches the shells in his hand, and throws them on the ground! I've lost a few shells before with the semi-auto, but there's no way I'd leave them lay with a break action gun. The second boo boo was on a video on the Uplander channel, which is a guy out of Michigan. He's hunting with a brittany and with a closed and loaded gun he covers his dog at close range with the muzzles! That one made me pucker up a little. I was watching some spare footage from my own hunts last season, and learned something. It was fairly tall big bluestem and windy, a little tough to keep close track of the dog. I paused my walk for a minute to listen and look for her, and as soon as I took my next step a bird flushed. At the time I thought it was a hen, but watching the footage it was a rooster. I'm not sure if the dog had been trailing that bird, or if he flushed just due to my pause. I'm getting better at it, but I still need to remember to pause more often around good cover, and add some zig zags into the walk.

Back