Hill City Area????

Hill City

I was close (15 miles or so). 85 to 90% of the milo is cut. Good bird numbers I thought. Not wonderful but good. Found birds in weird places but that may have been the weather.

Sounds good.... how was the preasure?

On another thread I saw mixed reports about the number of birds. How did it compare with last year?

last year

I did not get to hunt last year opening day. Hunted at Thanksgiving but would rate it approximately the same. I think there was more uncut milo last year and my recollection was that it was 70 degrees. That may have allowed more birds to be around at the end of November.

There were a LOT of hunters on Saturday. not very many on sunday (it was wet, rainy, misty, miserable on Sunday).

I did not get to hunt last year opening day. Hunted at Thanksgiving but would rate it approximately the same. I think there was more uncut milo last year and my recollection was that it was 70 degrees. That may have allowed more birds to be around at the end of November.

There were a LOT of hunters on Saturday. not very many on sunday (it was wet, rainy, misty, miserable on Sunday).

There were lots of hunters Saturday, convoys of 5+ vehicles loaded. Hit walk in NW of town and got into a bunch of birds. With 4 for of us we ended up with 9 Pheasants and 17 quail. Kicked up a lot of quail. Good fun. Talked to a few people at the calf fry and a group of 16 guys got 30 birds, another group got 16. They are out there all over the place.

I think 2 birds a hunter...

was pretty average for what I was hearing. (a few groups better, a few worse) Throw in a couple of quail each and all in all, I thought it was good but not great. I wonder what quail season being open there will do to the quail population next year. I suspect more quail got killed in western kansas in one day then usually get killed in a season. I think I'm kind of happy sunday got miserable.

Crops Mostly Uncut

Anyone hunt the Hill City area?

How was the opener? Are the crops getting cut?

The corn and milo were and are mostly uncut and it hurt the hunting.

Wow I am hearing mixed reports on the crop harvest. It must be pretty spotty in terms progress.

Grain elevator in Sublette is full and theyre putting corn and milo on the ground. Farmers might be waiting for somewhere to put the crops.

Back