High speed Golden Retriever

BirdmanMI

I have hunted with Goldens for years and presently have two females. The eight year old is a sweetheart of a dog and a great bird dog. The other is two years old, has a great nose, retrieves fabulously, but has two speeds - fast and faster. She is a wonderful dog but is very hard headed and and aggressive, not to other dogs but everything else...she killed a skunk in our backyard last fall! I have tried everything I know of to slow her down. I have Dogtra collars on both dogs. The older dog occassionaly has to be vibrated once but that is all it takes. I can shock the younger dog on a high setting and she will be respond but will be back going 100 miles an hour immediately. With flushing dogs and an aging hunter, this is not good. Any suggestions from the pheasant hunters nation would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Fast track Goldens

Hmmm...fast dog!

I'm on my fifth golden. Previous four all aggressive hunters and run excessively the first 30 minutes or so, then slow a bit.

I've made a mistake in letting them "run ahead" during walks vs having them on a long rope and never letting them run ahead or out of range. Am watching my current dog and being mindful of the run ahead problem.

He's very sensitive to the shock collar, so all he currently needs is the warning buzzer and he comes back. Will start working on whoa and a rope so he knows to slow down.

I sympathize with you...it seems its a problem for the life of the dog. A trainer once told me: keep shocking him - until he gets it!

Good luck!

Jon

I'll bite-
I grew up with hunting Golden Retrievers
I have 4 Britt's-

don't suppose you could put a Garmin GPS on your dog-
for average speed and distance

perhaps my Britt's are slow

Birdman, I agree with both Hunter94 and jonnyB.

I have a hard running and fast 4 year old Golden Male that I forcefetched and it paid off when it comes to respect for command. That being said, he too is a little bull-headed and that's where the collar comes in, use it because they need to know you can reach out and touch them. If all else fails, I'd recommend finding a good trainer in the area to help you out.

Also, keep in mind that at 2 she's still a puppy. The upside is you can't train drive! In that way your fortunate.

I have hunted with Goldens for years and presently have two females. The eight year old is a sweetheart of a dog and a great bird dog. The other is two years old, has a great nose, retrieves fabulously, but has two speeds - fast and faster. She is a wonderful dog but is very hard headed and and aggressive, not to other dogs but everything else...she killed a skunk in our backyard last fall! I have tried everything I know of to slow her down. I have Dogtra collars on both dogs. The older dog occassionaly has to be vibrated once but that is all it takes. I can shock the younger dog on a high setting and she will be respond but will be back going 100 miles an hour immediately. With flushing dogs and an aging hunter, this is not good. Any suggestions from the pheasant hunters nation would be appreciated. Thanks, John

I had an EP once. Not my choice, my daughter thought she would rescue it and give me another dog to feed. Now this dog was a BIG Runner, heck when hunting in Oklahoma, I had to make sure I had a Kansas and Texas Licenses on me because I never knew what State the dog was going to end up in. She could flat-out run out of range of my E-Collar in minutes. What a Beautiful Dog, had a great nose, pointed & honored if she was in the right County I was in.

I got frustrated one day with that big running EP dog. I got a check cord and tied a small 13” car tire on the end. I dropped her out in the middle of a 640 acre CRP field. I let her loose and boy did she take off, just as expected! I sat on the tailgate with the rest of my dogs and watched as She ran a 100MPH for over 20 minutes. Then she slowed down as she began getting tirred of pulling that 13” tire. As she turned and began to comeback my way, I jumped in the truck and drove around roads on the edge of the 640 until she was totally exhausted. The rest of the day she hunted every drop with the rest of my dogs, she checked-in in every few minutes and ran 100-200 yards in front of me, looking to make sure I where I was. Fixed that problem!

The very next morning, I loaded the dogs up and went hunting. First drop, off she went 100 miles an hour headed for the next county-line. I sold her a week later to a trial hunter from TN and he loved the big running EP dog. He hunts trials on horseback most of the time and probably has Licenses for all 50 States.

100mph- you guys need to be realistic

I had a neighbor who had a young Whippet- said it could run circles arround my 2 year old Britt- it could not

I had an EP once. Not my choice, my daughter thought she would rescue it and give me another dog to feed. Now this dog was a BIG Runner, heck when hunting in Oklahoma, I had to make sure I had a Kansas and Texas Licenses on me because I never knew what State the dog was going to end up in. She could flat-out run out of range of my E-Collar in minutes. What a Beautiful Dog, had a great nose, pointed & honored if she was in the right County I was in.

I got frustrated one day with that big running EP dog. I got a check cord and tied a small 13” car tire on the end. I dropped her out in the middle of a 640 acre CRP field. I let her loose and boy did she take off, just as expected! I sat on the tailgate with the rest of my dogs and watched as She ran a 100MPH for over 20 minutes. Then she slowed down as she began getting tirred of pulling that 13” tire. As she turned and began to comeback my way, I jumped in the truck and drove around roads on the edge of the 640 until she was totally exhausted. The rest of the day she hunted every drop with the rest of my dogs, she checked-in in every few minutes and ran 100-200 yards in front of me, looking to make sure I where I was. Fixed that problem!

The very next morning, I loaded the dogs up and went hunting. First drop, off she went 100 miles an hour headed for the next county-line. I sold her a week later to a trial hunter from TN and he loved the big running EP dog. He hunts trials on horseback most of the time and probably has Licenses for all 50 States.

good for you, you made the right decision for you and the dog....not everyone would have handled your situation in such a positive manner. :10sign:

100mph- you guys need to be realistic

I had a neighbor who had a young Whippet- said it could run circles arround my 2 year old Britt- it could not

Shadow, I think the 100mph thing was a figure of speech to illustrate that his dog goes a little to fast. We get it your dogs are the fastest dogs ever on earth, no greyhound could ever hope to over take them.

Shadow, I think the 100mph thing was a figure of speech to illustrate that his dog goes a little to fast. We get it your dogs are the fastest dogs ever on earth, no greyhound could ever hope to over take them.

easy there fella- I never said mine were fast

I'm on my fifth golden. Previous four all aggressive hunters and run excessively the first 30 minutes or so, then slow a bit.
Mine is similar. I make sure to chose a likely "less productive" location to run her for the first stop of the day. While I do keep her under control with me while getting ready at the truck, she's still pent up full of excitement for when it comes time to let her hunt'em up. Once we get past the initial abundance of excitement and energy, things go much better.
I've made a mistake in letting them "run ahead" during walks vs having them on a long rope and never letting them run ahead or out of range. Am watching my current dog and being mindful of the run ahead problem.
I did this too and should have known better. 1 year of her walking somewhat ahead and a second year of walking at the end of the long line on our daily route. Starting earlier this year she walks beside me, but I have yet to see if it's going to be a significant improvement in the field.

Pretty common for hunting dogs of all varieties to be wound up and ready to run. Who can blame them, hauled for a distance, limited opportunities. I found a cure that works most of the time. Get some pen raised birds, drive dog to a field you can train in, plant birds where the dog will be in contact immediately out of the car. Expect some running and busting initially, after a few sessions, the dog will expect to find birds right out of the car, and begin working immediately. As always praise up the new found work ethic to re-enforce behavior. Age usually helps mitigate this issue as well.

Back