Here's some Federal premium at a good price I think

Bob Peters

I've never shot a 16ga. but this seems like a good price. The nice thing is that it is what used to be called(and maybe still is) wing shok. This is better than prairie storm because it doesn't have those funky deformed pellets.

I know what you mean about the funky pellets. I patterned the P.S. 20 gauge 3'' before Turkey season. I wasn't all that impressed.

I don’t shoot 16 but that is a good deal. For those who want good deals you gotta look all year long now. I’m not gonna pay $25 a box but could easily be sucked into a pretty box with a cool picture. Got these shells at scheels for $18, buddy patterned them and said they were pretty good.

Attachments

• 35ED61BC-6D4A-47DB-A527-ED9C8337D3D4.jpeg
    35ED61BC-6D4A-47DB-A527-ED9C8337D3D4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

I've never shot a 16ga. but this seems like a good price. The nice thing is that it is what used to be called(and maybe still is) wing shok. This is better than prairie storm because it doesn't have those funky deformed pellets.
Interesting. It's just the #6 shot that's on sale, but that's a great price. My opinion is #6 starts to fade pretty fast past 40 yds & really isn't adequate for straight-away shots past about 30. But with the right bird, they're effective. For whatever reason, my "old" Sweet 16 doesn't pattern faster stuff well at all. I bought a box of these (#5 shot) about 10 years ago, thinking they'd be the bees knees. Nope. They sucked in that gun, even with buffer & copper-plated shot. I haven't tried them in my "new" Sweet 16. Maybe they'd be great, but I rarely shoot it.

That is a great price. Lowest I've seen in several years. I should have my step-son in Sioux Falls pick me up a few boxes. A5, I happen to like #6 shot in the 16 gauge. In my 65+ years of pheasant hunting I've shot more pheasants with #6 than any other size shot. Never had a problem dropping birds dead out to 40 yds. and beyond. But it all depends on what shells pattern best in your particular gun. I'd take those PF shells any day over the Prairie Storms.

Reactions: Kre
I know what you mean about the funky pellets. I patterned the P.S. 20 gauge 3'' before Turkey season. I wasn't all that impressed.
You patterned pheasants loads for turkey hunting with a full choke? No wonder you weren't impressed.

I don’t shoot 16 but that is a good deal. For those who want good deals you gotta look all year long now. I’m not gonna pay $25 a box but could easily be sucked into a pretty box with a cool picture. Got these shells at scheels for $18, buddy patterned them and said they were pretty good.
Absolutely LOVE the B&P Heavy Pheasant in 20 gauge. Fantastic patterns and copper plated, shot many many pheasant, sharptail and huns last few years. Too bad all I can find is 12 gauge now.

B& P make good ammo I miss the extra range pheasant loads from 10 years ago still have a couple flats horded

At 1425 fps, those are going to kick a little in a lightweight 16.

My favorite 16b load is still the RST 2 1/2” with 1oz of #6 at 1175-1200 fps. It’s a pheasant hammer out of my LC Smith and Citori.

At 1425 fps, those are going to kick a little in a lightweight 16.
I've shot them in my new A5 SweetSixteen and didn't notice any extra recoil.

Just patterned these out of an old ithaca mod 37 fixed full choke at 30 yards to see how theyd do on turkey. I was very unimpressed. Maybe just too fast for such a tight choke?

I've shot them in my new A5 SweetSixteen and didn't notice any extra recoil.
I typically don't notice recoil shooting at a pheasant either. Except one time that I can recall. I was hunting CREP ground, had my gun loaded with 1 oz bismuth loads & 1-1/4 oz lead loads in my pocket. Shot a pheasant & stuck one of the heavy loads in the magazine. Shot at another pheasant a little later, missed with the 1st bismuth shot & about had my teeth knocked loose with the 1-1/4 oz follow-up. Got him though. Those loads develop 35.3% more recoil energy than the 1 oz loads. The 1-1/8 oz, 1425 fps loads would develop 41.6% more recoil than my 1 oz loads; 17.4% more than my usual 1-1/8 oz loads. I think you'd notice the 17.4%, but probably only if you shot the 2 consecutively.
1 oz @ 1300 = 23.8 ft-lb of recoil energy.
1-1/8 oz @ 1300 = 28.7 ft-lb.
1-1/8 oz @ 1425 = 33.7 ft-lb.
1-1/4 oz @ 1260 = 32.2 ft-lb.

I used KPY Shotshell Ballistics to calculate the recoil energies above.
That's all fine & dandy when you've got a computer in front of you. But for those times you don't & still want to calculate recoil energy, I've created a handy estimator you can carry around with you in your brain (or in picture form on your phone). It assumes a 50-grain wad, 30 grains of powder, & a 7-lb gun, all somewhat negligible variables.
Recoil Energy Calculator.JPG

I used KPY Shotshell Ballistics to calculate the recoil energies above.
That's all fine & dandy when you've got a computer in front of you. But for those times you don't & still want to calculate recoil energy, I've created a handy estimator you can carry around with you in your brain (or in picture form on your phone). It assumes a 50-grain wad, 30 grains of powder, & a 7-lb gun, all somewhat negligible variables.
View attachment 5621
I use the method the pioneers used. Damn that hurt!!

Back