Help with jumping puppy

KansasGsp

Hey guys,
I have a 8 month old shorthair I need some help with. My first two dogs I never really had an issue with them jumping up on people, but this pup is driving me nuts with it. He's gotten better with me (still slips up when he's really excited) but with my kids it's every time they are around him. He's got some springy legs and loves to jump around which I don't mind. Just would like to keep him from jumping up on people. Thanks in advance.

Have the kids shake a pill bottle full of rocks when he goes to jump on them. Practice it a few days alone before handing it over to your kids. Combine it with a knee to the chest if needed.

Yes the good old no at same time as a knee then sit routine helps...

My girl was same way still gets geeked when certain hunting buddy or family come over but she now run up to them sits & then lay down lol I'd rather have that then jumping up lol

Lots of people get a kick outta her coming over & laying on there feet ??? She also goes & grabs shoes & other stuff & gives it to them & me

I told her down & kneed her in chest & or buzzed her on e collar not shocked once she knew that jumping was bad that all it took...

Good luck with the pup happy to hear u got a family dog some of them gsp I've met have 0 personality & or mannors

Yes the good old no at same time as a knee then sit routine helps...

My girl was same way still gets geeked when certain hunting buddy or family come over but she now run up to them sits & then lay down lol I'd rather have that then jumping up lol

Lots of people get a kick outta her coming over & laying on there feet ??? She also goes & grabs shoes & other stuff & gives it to them & me

I told her down & kneed her in chest & or buzzed her on e collar not shocked once she knew that jumping was bad that all it took...

Good luck with the pup happy to hear u got a family dog some of them gsp I've met have 0 personality & or mannors
Man I can't believe you just said that about gsps to KansasGSP...:laugh::laugh:that'd be like me getting on here and saying that brittanys have the face of an overbit pig ,,oops:D

Man I can't believe you just said that about gsps to KansasGSP...:laugh::laugh:that'd be like me getting on here and saying that brittanys have the face of an overbit pig ,,oops:D

Was not breed bashing or trying to??? Lol just seen lots of gsp & only a few were good house dogs & hunters...

Was trying to compliment Kansasgsp sorry if I. Came off judgemental of gsp's...

Now I don't run Brittany's for a reason oink oink...

Here's what I am doing with my new 1 year old brittany. She's wild and jumping. Today I put I leash on her. She resisted. When she calmed down, we started walked around the yard one time. Every time she got excited, we stopped and waited. Two minutes on leash. Tomorrow, three minutes. Teaching her calm is more rewarding than excited.

An 8 month old dog doesn't just start jumping on people. It is a learned behavior that he has gotten away with, and now that he is bigger it presents more of a problem. A solid month or 2 of obedience and teaching the down command every time he jumps. It has to be enforced every time the dog makes a mistake. When I begin basic training there is not much interaction with young kids. Kids don't know how to correct a dog when it makes a mistake. Someone else mentioned a wild dog. A dog follows the lead of its owner and will do whatever an owner allows it to. They are no different than the kids I teach at school. It is easy to distinguish between the kids who have structure at home and the ones who don't. Dogs are the same, it is easy to distinguish between those dogs who are held to a high obedience standard and those that are left to rule the roost. A pill bottle and knee to the chest teach nothing, although they may work, they don't teach a dog how to be a good citizen.

I am not being critical of a knee to the chest but that when the dog jumps a "Sit" command should put the dog in place and it should not move until directed to do otherwise. If the dog doesn't understand sit, here, heel, down, quiet, etc it can't be expected to obey anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. West, I too am a school teacher/coach and not every kid gets taught or coached the same way. You adapt your teaching/coaching to the kid, but I'm sure you know this since you seem to be a expert on everything. I'm not sure how to tell my two little kids they are not allowed to play with their puppy because it hasn't been put through two months of obedience training, but I'm sure you'll tell me how to do that too.

Thanks for the info guys. West, I too am a school teacher/coach and not every kid gets taught or coached the same way. You adapt your teaching/coaching to the kid, but I'm sure you know this since you seem to be a expert on everything. I'm not sure how to tell my two little kids they are not allowed to play with their puppy because it hasn't been put through two months of obedience training, but I'm sure you'll tell me how to do that too.

Not an expert on everything, but I am confident in this: You don't have a jumping problem, you have an obedience problem. Your dog jumps up because at some point it was allowed to jump up, and now thinks that behavior is acceptable. The only way to stop this behavior is to work obedience every day - sit, here, heel. A dog that is obedient unless something really exciting is going on is not obedient at all.

Obedience training is not a two month training program. It is a life-long process, especially for high-energy hunting dogs. My four year-old dog gets some sort of obedience training pretty much every day of her life, whether she knows it or not. She sits and waits for dinner until she gets an OK. She sits when the doorbell rings. She never goes through a doorway before I do. She heels off leash to the mailbox. If I see the neighborhood kids playing while we are on a walk, I put her on whoa and let them go crazy around her. These are not optional things for her, they are just how things work. As a result, jumping, chewing, barking, etc. are not problems at my house.

As for kids (and spouses), involve them in the obedience process, and teach them the importance of proper training. Show them that there's a time to play, but that there are rules that need to be followed. Teach them not to give commands that they are not able to enforce without your intervention. Having a dog that responds to you, but no one else in your house is asking for trouble.

It's a lot of work, but it pays off in the long run, both around the house and in the field. An obedient dog hunts with you as part of a team. An obedient dog with average hunting ability will get you more hunting invites than a world class hunter with no manners.

Hope this helps.

:cheers:
Cheers,

Dave

Here's what I am doing with my new 1 year old brittany. She's wild and jumping. Today I put I leash on her. She resisted. When she calmed down, we started walked around the yard one time. Every time she got excited, we stopped and waited. Two minutes on leash. Tomorrow, three minutes. Teaching her calm is more rewarding than excited.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
This

Repetition repetition repetition

Think everyone is trying to help ya out mite not like the wording or blame game but u were asking for info???

When ur are coaching or in class both areas u are teaching kids things do u let outside distractions come over & interupted ur lessons??? I think the hole obedience Training & no kid interaction thing was referring to during trainIng time aka class time not to quarantine The dog ...

Base of a good dog is good manners & obedience...

Kansasgsp Settle down. Westksbowhunter knows a thing or two about dogs. You asked for advice and didn't like what he offered up. Did it maybe hit to close to home?
I basically agree with all of what he said. Basic obedience is all about consistency. You need to determine what is acceptable behavior and hold to it. My guess is any good obedience trainer could stop your dog from jumping on them in a handful of 5-10 minute sessions. I would also guess most any pet owner could undo that training in 5 minutes or less.
Sorry if this stings but you asked.

Kansasgsp Settle down. Westksbowhunter knows a thing or two about dogs. You asked for advice and didn't like what he offered up. Did it maybe hit to close to home?
I basically agree with all of what he said. Basic obedience is all about consistency. You need to determine what is acceptable behavior and hold to it. My guess is any good obedience trainer could stop your dog from jumping on them in a handful of 5-10 minute sessions. I would also guess most any pet owner could undo that training in 5 minutes or less.
Sorry if this stings but you asked.

Ya, I agree with this. West, my bad. I realize you were trying to help, sometimes you just have a different way of wording things and maybe it did strike a nerve. Anyways, thanks again for all the info.

Its also important to train people to some extent. Generally a dog is just trying to get attention and a good welcoming scritch behind the ears from someone. If the pup starts jumping its human nature to lift your arms up to get away from the jumping which just makes the dog jump more or higher. My parents are good at this despite me telling them to put their arm down and she will quit jumping. Next time....same thing. Cant teach an old person new tricks I guess

When I have a dog jump I hold his paws and stretch him out a bit. He starts wimpering and wanting to get let down. Doesn't take to long before he doesn't want to jump up again. Make it his idea not to jump up or he'll get made uncomfortable.

When I have a dog jump I hold his paws and stretch him out a bit. He starts wimpering and wanting to get let down. Doesn't take to long before he doesn't want to jump up again. Make it his idea not to jump up or he'll get made uncomfortable.

This works. Dogs dont like to feel uncomfortable. I have one that likes to jump. Mostly because other people let her. She doesn't do it to me. I would just turn my back to her when she jumps. She does NOT like to be ignored. I took about 3 times of me turning my back to her and she stopped. With me at least.

Its also important to train people to some extent. Generally a dog is just trying to get attention and a good welcoming scritch behind the ears from someone. If the pup starts jumping its human nature to lift your arms up to get away from the jumping which just makes the dog jump more or higher. My parents are good at this despite me telling them to put their arm down and she will quit jumping. Next time....same thing. Cant teach an old person new tricks I guess

I agree on the older the less they really wanna listen to your instructions on handling the dog caught my dad & grandma handing treats & letting dog up on couch etc. Like minutes after telling them the dog walks all over them after a few day lol.

Tell a child something & they tend to in force the rules sometimes like lil drill Sargent's lol. Don't let the kids have access to the hole treat box lol or ur dog will sit shake roll over till there all gone kids think man he smart lol

I also will use the ignore the dog technique my munsterlander hates that loves to please so she ez to train if training went south fast just stopped & started over next day etc. Telling then they are good dog etc. Does way more then a e collar

You are right on not teaching every kid the same as every kid does have a different learning style but you better coach them all the same or you will have a bunch of parents beating down your door. Coaching is very similar to training dogs, and you have to be the leader of the pack. Sorry if I offended you, but the dog needs obedience and it will take about 6 weeks or so to get it done. I am blunt and to the point, some don't like that. If you are teaching the dog obedience it has to be enforced by you and everyone in the family or you will get nowhere.

I want to add that there are many different methods to training dogs. Personally I like Lardy's methods and I think that his methods are used more than any other out there. However, there are 3 things that are consistent and should be done with every new puppy. First, crate training. Second, lots of socialization. And third, basic obedience. If everyone would do this regardless of whether they wanted a pet or hunting companion, we would have a lot of happy dog owners and dogs that didn't jump on people. And get rid of those choke collars and start using the pinch collars.

You train your dog to come. Then, if you tell your dog to come and it doesn't come, it is being disobedient. A dog that is doing something that displeases you is not necessarily being disobedient.

Back