HELP! Shadow Needs a ride!

BirdyBlackDog

Okay here's the gig: I just got invited to go to South Dakota for my first "real" pheasant hunt. My Black Lab, Shadow, and I have been hunting here in Michigan for the last five seasons on some private land here in Isabella County, and on various pheasant farms throughout the state. A material supplier of mine has invited me to go with him this year he is picking up the tab. I know, I know lucky me! I am geeked to say the least. There is only one catch, there's not enough room on the plane for my hunting partner. Try telling YOUR wife you can't take your bird dog after the investment you made in him. Is there anyone who might be leaving Michigan around the second weekend in November who might be interested in letting Shadow hitch a ride? Obviously I would offer some compensation. Or does anyone else have any ideas? Not very keen on shipping him off on a plane, and expecting him to be able to hunt once he hits the ground--afraid it might rattle him a bit.

Why not drive out with your dog and meet the other people at the airport or wherever you are going-I would think they could understand that-then you have a known dog and an extra vehicle-just a thought.

I can tell you it will cost $500 to get the dog out and back. Ottherwise, I would not worry about the flight affecting the dog. Thousands of dogs come into the Sioux Falls airport every year and hunt the next day. Airlines will not ship if too hot.
________
Ford dew platform history

Last edited:
PS Geno's suggestion is great if you need a vehicle plus the other guy's might be able to avoid some baggage fees. Rent a van?
________
Babi Mac

Last edited:
If by chance you do ship your dog by air make sure you know all of the airline's rules. I work for a major airline and you used to be able to sedate your dog prior to travel. Now it is not permitted on our airline. The reason I say this is that you seemed worried about the dog's willingness to hunt upon arrival. If he's not sedated my guess is that he'll be itching to run after a long kennel ride.

Is Souix Falls the best place to have him sent to? We will be hunting in Wessington Springs (roughly 45 min northwest of Huron I believe).

I think I would stay home and send the dog:cool:

Actually I think the others had the best idea. If you want your dog there, (and I personally wouldn't go without mine), drive out and meet them at the airport. There maybe another in the party that would prefer to drive.

Sioux Falls would probably be your least expensive option for shipping. I'm with the rest of the guys though. I would drive unless there is no other way.

I'd drive too. No way I'd trust my pup to an airline. You ought to be able to make it out there in about 15 hrs.....done it many times :D The cost of shipping the pup would pay for the gas too. You gonna be staying at Pheasant City Lodge? If so, you're in for a treat.....real nice place.

Brett

Well he's def getting there, somehow, someway. Just thought I might be able to save myself some time and dinero. The little bugger is lucky enough to go twice this year--letting Dad take him for his first trip in Oct. I'm sure he'll love it! As always thank for everyones' input!

Back