Help/advice training 3y/o GSP

bruno1

I purchased a 2.5 y/o GSP this summer that was supposed to be a turnkey dog that I can jump right in and start guiding on preserve hunts. Well needless to say I took the dog out alone to hunt and the dog just ran and never hunted. No formal training and never worked the field, just ran. There was no bond between us like there is now so I'm hoping I can now start working on training. I'm gonna start him like he's a puppy as he has no obedience training either. Is there any "programs" out there for pointing breeds or is it more a natural instinct that you hone? Btw this dog was purchased from a kennel that should be ashamed of the condition they gave this dog to me in. Most people said to send the dog back but I didn't have the heart to do that to this guy. Any input would be greatly appreciated

What's a turn key dog? Started dog I assume? If that's the case and you paid a started dog price I would be assessing the situation. When I sell a started dog, the buyers come and watch it run first. I would start it with the obedience just like a puppy. If it won't listen. Or maybe call the guy who had it to see what he used to command the dog if anything.

Thanks PW. Yes I bought him from a trainer that told me he was a finished dog, that's what I meant by turnkey. When I ask the trainer why the dog won't hunt he has more excuses than a person in jail. His answer is send him back and he'll train him. My answer is the always the same. Isn't that what I already purchased. Is there a program on DVD or YouTube that you would recommend

Not really. I'm not big on DVD's. I take a little longer approach too. Whoa breaking is usually #1 on my list. Pointing at the correct distant can be tough. But it sounds like exposure to birds is what the dog needs and maybe hasn't had in a while. Put out 2 or three birds and let him run around until he finds them. Then see what he does. He may point, he may run through em. But I would just stand there until he finds em. You may have to flush the first one to get him going if he's that bad. But you may get to skip a few steps. Does he want to retrieve at all or play fetch?

Loves to retrieve and play fetch, he'll do that nonstop all day if it was up to him. I have access to plenty of birds so I'll try planting some out. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow

For sure the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish DVDs. If you follow them and read your dog right, you should have a very nice dog by the end of it.

Loves to retrieve and play fetch, he'll do that nonstop all day if it was up to him. I have access to plenty of birds so I'll try planting some out. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow

If he's retrieving that well then I would definitely start dummy work. Assuming he's ok with gunshots. You could probably start throwing multiples pretty quick. If he gets that down, the scent pointing should be natural. Just may have to back him up a little. Getting him to stop in form (not sitting) would still be at the top of my list. That and quickly getting him to listen since he's already 3 or however old.

I do things a bit differently, I use Maurice Lindley's method of training. I like it, it's simple and if you have access to birds, its pretty great. I don't teach whoa, etc, not saying its better or worse, just different.

The absolute first thing though you need to do, is figure out your expectations of the dog and go from there.

And yeah, I wouldn't send the dog back to the "trainer" either.

Might I suggest Jim Marti's Burnt Creek Method of Dog Training. They are back in print and available. bcsetterpress.com

Back