Hello

Timberdoodle

Hi Y'all, I'm a bird hunter from South Louisiana. No wild pheasants here of course but we have good dove, quail, snipe, and great duck and woodcock (my favorite) hunting here in these swamps. I also have a passion for bird dogs. Currentlty own/hunt 3 GSP's. We have been haveing an exceptional woodcock year this year. The only pheasants we get to hunt though are preserve birds. Glas to be here amongst fellow bird hunters.

Hello right back. Being an old Montana boy, it's plumb sinful to not respond to a hello. Spent some time in the '70s around Hammond, LA. Missed Montana, but I learned that folks were downright friendly, food was great, the bayous were a real adventure, and Cajuns can really put an edge on a knife. Welcome to the site. Always wanted to hunt Woodcock . . . they have to be a challenge!

welcome to bird killing oops. I mean bird hunting. Glade to have you on board, at Uph. Jump right in the water is fine. Post often and have fun. :)

Welcome to UPH, seeing as how you hunt Quail and other small fast birds. Are you a 12 gauge or a small bore man. Me, I'm a small bore, I love my 28 gauge......Bob

Thanks

Thanks for the welcomes folks. If I can't be huntin' or trainin' I can sometimes satisfy myself with jawing about it. This should be a fun forum. Bob I usually hunt with Beretta 626 12 gauge sxs but I often turn to my Grandpap's old Remington M11 16 gauge or my Pop's old Stevens 20 gauge sxs ( cut to 24 3/4" cylinder bore) for woodcock. Lately I have been trying to restrict myself to my Beretta and just tailor the load to the game. "Beware of the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it!"

TD you got that right on the one gun theory. I'm with you I have a 20 and a 28 gauges. I love them both so, I'm in trouble again........Bob

WELCOME TD, GLAD YOU ENJOY YOUR SHORTHAIRS AND WISH SOMEDAY I WILL GET A CHANCE TO HUNT TIMBERDOODLES!!!! POST OFTEN AND ENJOY UPH!!!!!:cheers:

BleuBijou,

Anytime you can make it down to Louisiana between December 18 (always the opening day of woodcock) and January 31 (always the last), grab your dog and come on, I'll be glad to take you woodcock hunting.

Timberdoodle

Hi Y'all, I'm a bird hunter from South Louisiana. No wild pheasants here of course but we have good dove, quail, snipe, and great duck and woodcock (my favorite) hunting here in these swamps. I also have a passion for bird dogs. Currentlty own/hunt 3 GSP's. We have been haveing an exceptional woodcock year this year. The only pheasants we get to hunt though are preserve birds. Glas to be here amongst fellow bird hunters.

Are woodcock good to eat? Can you tell us a little about what it is like to hunt them? Thanks and thanks for coming on to the forum.

BritChaser,

Yes woodcock are very good to eat. We usually butterfly them and batter and deep fry them, stew them, roast them, or put 'em in gumbos with squirrel, duck, or some other small game.

As far as the hunt.....man, where do I start. Woodcock like moist, swampy areas with heavy, HEAVY cover. Briars and thickets that are almost inpenetrable, or young buck woods that have trees very closely knit. They need the moist ground so that they can penetrate deeply with those long beeks and get to their favorite food, worms. They fly out of these dense areas at night to feed in open fields close in proximity to the areas that they rest in all day long. Out at dusk....back in at dawn. They usually start to show up here in mid-October and en masse in November/December. The season always runs from december 18 to January 31.

O.K....Now for the hunt. Me and my group hunt them with pointing dogs, we use GSP, English Pointers, Brittanies, Setters,.... Before I had pointing dogs I used Labradors to flush them. We use beeper collars or bells on the dogs because visability in these coverts can be limited to about ten of fifteen yards sometimes. Sometimes the birds hold well, sometimes they are jumpy.

We hunt the thickets adjacent to swampy areas, bayous, or rivers. Most of my favorite coverts are along the Mississippi River, I mean RIGHT along it, within sight of the river, in between the containment levees and the River itself.

Doesn't really matter what time of day you hunt 'em, I usually like to head out at about 8or 9 depending on whether I make a duck hunt first. I favor doubles (sxs for me) with imp. cyl. on the first shot and mod. on barrel 2. Open chokes (or NO chokes) are effective also. I use a 12 or 16 but 20's or 28's work well also. The gun should have a short oal because I can't stress enough the thickness of the cover we hunt and it's easy to get tangled up. That's another reason I favor doubles.

On some rainy years, when the water is abundant, they are spread out all over the area so you better be ready to walk to get some. The limit is 3 and on good years, like this year, I try to take along a couple of extra hunters so that I can make the hunt last a bit.

If you ever find yourself in this area at the right time of year jump on in with us. I promise you'll have a good time.

Happy Huntin',

Timberdoodle

BritChaser,

Yes woodcock are very good to eat. We usually butterfly them and batter and deep fry them, stew them, roast them, or put 'em in gumbos with squirrel, duck, or some other small game.

As far as the hunt.....man, where do I start. Woodcock like moist, swampy areas with heavy, HEAVY cover. Briars and thickets that are almost inpenetrable, or young buck woods that have trees very closely knit. They need the moist ground so that they can penetrate deeply with those long beeks and get to their favorite food, worms. They fly out of these dense areas at night to feed in open fields close in proximity to the areas that they rest in all day long. Out at dusk....back in at dawn. They usually start to show up here in mid-October and en masse in November/December. The season always runs from december 18 to January 31.

O.K....Now for the hunt. Me and my group hunt them with pointing dogs, we use GSP, English Pointers, Brittanies, Setters,.... Before I had pointing dogs I used Labradors to flush them. We use beeper collars or bells on the dogs because visability in these coverts can be limited to about ten of fifteen yards sometimes. Sometimes the birds hold well, sometimes they are jumpy.

We hunt the thickets adjacent to swampy areas, bayous, or rivers. Most of my favorite coverts are along the Mississippi River, I mean RIGHT along it, within sight of the river, in between the containment levees and the River itself.

Doesn't really matter what time of day you hunt 'em, I usually like to head out at about 8or 9 depending on whether I make a duck hunt first. I favor doubles (sxs for me) with imp. cyl. on the first shot and mod. on barrel 2. Open chokes (or NO chokes) are effective also. I use a 12 or 16 but 20's or 28's work well also. The gun should have a short oal because I can't stress enough the thickness of the cover we hunt and it's easy to get tangled up. That's another reason I favor doubles.

On some rainy years, when the water is abundant, they are spread out all over the area so you better be ready to walk to get some. The limit is 3 and on good years, like this year, I try to take along a couple of extra hunters so that I can make the hunt last a bit.

If you ever find yourself in this area at the right time of year jump on in with us. I promise you'll have a good time.

Happy Huntin',

Timberdoodle

Thank you! I have always been curious about woodcock.

Welcome TD
I get to shoot a couple of them every year but we don't have a large amount of them in MN. They are the hardest thing to hit when they take off they seem bounce in the air up down and a little to the side while going threw the brush. Lots of shells wasted on them things.:thumbsup:

Tricky Mud Bats

I know what you mean Goldeneye, no tellin' where those little suckers are gonna go when you flush them. They are quite adept at slipping through the brambles at warp speed. Probably about 35% of the time we don't even get a shot off.

Headed to LA

USAF is moving me from North Dakota to LA (Barksdale in Bossier City/Shreveport). Not looking good for pheasant from what I'm reading. How's the quail? I've never tried Woodcock. I have a 2 year old Vizsla. Just got him a new hip but hope to be 100% back in action by the time the next season opens after we move this summer. What's the word on upland game there in LA?

pnsballard

Quail are sparse but huntable down here. Ducks,geese, and doves are plentiful around the Shreveport area. Woodcock hunting will be good. Welcome to Louisiana.

Hello from Houston. I've spent some time in south La. doing the duck hunting thing. I always enjoy my time in La. and always look forward to my next venture there. Love the food over there and all the "crazy" people. Didn't know about the woodcock hunting, sounds like a blast. Welcome to the board!

Back