Headed out tomorrow....

Well, I've had a bad couple of weeks. However, the death of a close family member has left with an extra day of funeral leave to use this week. I need to stay relatively close to home, so I'm not expecting to see a bunch of pheasants. What birds we do see should be sitting extremely tight! Pray for me and my dogs as we take to the fields during the most dangerous time of the year (IMO), deer rifle season. We'll be wearing plenty of orange for sure.

We'll see how bad the WIHA east of Concordia has been pounded and I'll provide a report for you guys. Does anyone know how the quail hunting is on the WIHA up that way? Are most of the crops out up there?

I'm wondering whether the limited WIHA in this area is worth hunting or if we should start working on getting private access first thing in the morning.

Well, I've had a bad couple of weeks. However, the death of a close family member has left with an extra day of funeral leave to use this week. I need to stay relatively close to home, so I'm not expecting to see a bunch of pheasants. What birds we do see should be sitting extremely tight! Pray for me and my dogs as we take to the fields during the most dangerous time of the year (IMO), deer rifle season. We'll be wearing plenty of orange for sure.

We'll see how bad the WIHA east of Concordia has been pounded and I'll provide a report for you guys. Does anyone know how the quail hunting is on the WIHA up that way? Are most of the crops out up there?

I'm wondering whether the limited WIHA in this area is worth hunting or if we should start working on getting private access first thing in the morning.
KB, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I wish you my best bro, and be safe out there, we still need to hook up this season...:thumbsup:

Hey KB,
Sorry to hear about you loss. We are thinking of you and your family during these difficult times. Hope you have an enjoyable and sucessful hunt. Good luck and let us know how it went. Don't forget the pics!lol You know how we love the pics. Good luck again!

Rod​

We hit Milford Lake and west of there with luck on 2nd weekend. We weren't as north as you, outside of Milford, the WIHA wasn't that good. We were asking farmers who were cutting milo and had good luck getting on their ground. Quail were in the cut crops and plenty of them. Big coveys. Good luck

Well, what a day to take a long trip to NC KS! Bad idea in terms of driving conditions, but we made it to and fro safely. Hunted the WIHA's W of Clay Center (S side of the highway). That cluster of WIHA has some great cover, but we didn't see a single pheasant or quail in the 2 patches we walked.

We had to hustle back to make it to a youth deer hunt at Jeffery Energy Center in St. Mary's. The deer hunt was a great experience for my 14yo cousin. I'm not a deer hunter by any stretch of the imagination, so I truly appreciate KDWP's efforts in offering these types of opportunities for kids. Bret harvested a nice doe at 4:30 with a very well-placed 45 yard shot. We saw 9 deer in the 1 1/2 hrs on the property!

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. My brother's death marks an early end to a great life. He lived how he wanted to every day. I can't say I do the same. He always told me he'd "rather live a fast 40 than a slow 80" ........may he rest in peace.

Back