Hays for three days

Live2Birdhunt

I have managed to put together a decent group of 7 guys and two dogs. I am returning to Kansas after a 5 year hiatus. We will hunt Thur, Fri and Sat. this week. I actually got started about 25 years ago in Goodland and the surrounding area. The last five years has been mostly South Dakota due to the drought conditions in KS and the TX panhandle. We are all traveling a considerable distance and will be hunting all public land. I was hoping that I could get some general input on which direction to head out in to be most effective. We have three days so we can pretty much try any direction but of course want to be most effective. I am pretty much considered the guide on these type hunts so I don't want to produce a terrible hunt. I have plenty of experience in evaluating good good hunting spots and patterning birds any given day but fear I am at a little disadvantage due the lack of time to do even a little scouting. I also have considerable late season experience. So I was hoping for a little guidance.

Thanks in advance. I'll check back in to let you now how it goes or any special happenings on this late season effort.

Be prepared to walk a lot and shoot a little I hunted a spot where the dogs pointed a group of birds close to 35 hens not one rooster Kansas has got substantial hunting pressure do to the reports in the Dakotas Best advice is if you are not finding birds move 25 Miles or so Let is know how you do !!!

All though Hays has all the bars and hotels and food it also has a lot of hunters. I was there in late Dec and could not believe all the hunters i seen
Great habitat in walk in areas but saw more hunters foot prints than birds
Seems everywhere I went someone was there first.I personally would stay and hunt North of hays less accommodations but more birds.

I would tell you to drive at least and hour before you start hunting or stay in a small town out away from the highway. Most people get off the highway and hunt the stuff close to town and roads so it get stomped out pretty hard. The more remote and father away from 70 you get the better chance of birds you have.

I would tell you to drive at least and hour before you start hunting or stay in a small town out away from the highway. Most people get off the highway and hunt the stuff close to town and roads so it get stomped out pretty hard. The more remote and father away from 70 you get the better chance of birds you have.

I agree 100% i also hunted a few days just east of Glen Elder park
Saw no hunters and saw pheasant and quail on all the walk in areas
I stopped at that looked good.And that was in early dec.

Pretty tough hunt. Many factors working against us. I had to leave my lab Hannah home. She just turned nine and never fully recovered from a five day hunt in early Nov in South Dakota. She is riddled with arthritis in her feet and spine. We only had one dog and that dog was not a hunter. The weather was in the high 60's most days and very dry. We hunted the first day up around Norton Kansas. We managed to see a couple 40 -50 bird flushes on private ground but were unable to find land owners to ask permission. We saw very few birds on public ground and only took two pheasant. On the second day we able to hunt a good portion of the day on a beautiful piece of private ground near Zurich. We saw more bird but the weather and lack of good dog work hindered us badly. Managed 3 three quail and 4 pheasant. Last day a total bust. Too hot, too dry, spots too big.

I will never hunt again without my own dog. I new it was going to be different but I had no idea. Worst feeling in the world being in the field lamenting the absence of your partner. Good new though I pick up my new puppy Feb 2 from Contender Retrievers out of Buckingham IA! Trying to post a pic of Hannah

View attachment 8043

Yep, couldn't agree more. It's a lot harder to enjoy when you don't have your own dog out in front. If my dog isn't able to go, I won't go.

Back