Has anyone ever limited out on pheasant and quail in the same walk in field?iq

I can think of only one time I limited on pheasants in one walk-in field. It was a great piece of WIHA, and an fantastic day for me and the dogs! Shockingly, that field is no longer part of the WIHA program...:rolleyes:

I know I have shot both pheasants and quail from the same WIHA field on the same walk, but nothing close to a limit of both. I probably could have limited on quail, but it would not have been a good conservation move. That field is still in the program, but was intensively grazed last season down to nuttin'.:(

I watched a guest of mine take a limit of four roosters, eight quail and two lesser prairie chicken(limit was two back then) in the course of three hours.

One of my most memorable days was an opening day hunt I hosted. For me it is more important that my guests get into the birds than me, so I do all I can to put them in position to get the birds. So it was on that opener. I let the group out and instructed them to head to the sweet spot and Duke(my Drahthaar) and I would head across some open CRP that was only ankle high and block the birds exit from the sweet spot. Duke and I head out in a fast walk/run through the short stuff and within about the first fifty yards Duke swings around hard and locks on point. I am thinking meadowlark, but to my amazement I flush a rooster and Duke makes a fine retrieve. Well before Duke and I get to our position I have another rooster in the bag. The hunters make their way to me and move no birds at all. Of course, my guests are giving me heck about shooting all the roosters. I apologize and we head to another area and plan to do the same and again I shoot two roosters while headed to my blocking position and my guest see none. This was the only time I limited out in the first hour and before my guests had even seen a bird to shoot.

I've never limited on both in the same field, not even on private land. I've only limited on both one time in my life. It took till 11am to get our 5 man pheasant limit, then 2 guys went home. It took about 2hrs to get a 3-man limit of quail. We must have seen 3-500 pheasants that day and no less than 6 coveys of quail. They were all within a few miles of each other, but certainly not in the same field.

Back in the 80's we had a lot of land to hunt by Clay Center. One section of property had a sink hole that was at least 5 acres of plum thickets and the pheasants would bust out of there by the 100's then the quail would come out fly in a cirle and land back into the thickets. So you could pick them off one by one. I had a double limit on that property several times once at the plum thicket without even walking more than 200 yards. Even killed a wild pig on that property. I also had permission to hunt the land that Benedicting had that is now called Benedicting Bottoms before the Corp took it over after the floods of 94. Could kill double limits in there quite a bit also, tough hunt though.

zeepo

I don't remember doing both Phez and quail in the same field.
But I did a limit of quaila and 2 pheasants in one field

Never both in the same field. When I was in high school, we were pheasant hunting around Norton. We walked a waterway (about 1/2 mile). My dad and I took one side and his long time hunting buddy took the other. When we got to the road, my dad and I both had our limits and his buddy had never fired a shot.

I've not limited on both at the same time in the same darn day let alone in the same field the same day!

Can't remember what a limit feels like. Think its been two years. Been a lot longer since I spent all day on one quarter section also.

What is this limit thing you are talking about?

I would like to shoot a limit someday. One day I did shoot 3 phesants in one field with 3 shots but could not find a 4th one that day. Most days I get 1 maybe 2 but never more than 3. I use to see limits of Bobwhites shot when I was a kid back in the late 60's around my hometown of Iola.

Forgot to mention- my cousin and I hunt together. He has the longest no miss streak of anyone I know. Hasn't missed a bird the last two seasons. Of course we've only hunted eight days in the past two years and he probably hasn't shot more than eight birds but hey, its still a good record.

Can't remember what a limit feels like. Think its been two years. Been a lot longer since I spent all day on one quarter section also.

I remember a limit feels like 25 extra pounds on the way back to the truck, slugging through the grass with sore cheeks from grinning:D I remember the freedom I felt to break out the camera and take pics while those with me finished getting their birds (I'd forgotten that line, "finish getting 'our' birds"). I remember how sharp the dogs become when there are a lot of birds! For the moment, it feels as though you and your dogs have finally mastered such a difficult game. Ahhh, smells like teen-spirit;)

It's been 2 years for me as well, save for SD last season.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention- my cousin and I hunt together. He has the longest no miss streak of anyone I know. Hasn't missed a bird the last two seasons. Of course we've only hunted eight days in the past two years and he probably hasn't shot more than eight birds but hey, its still a good record.

A damn site better than my record:eek: I judge my shooting performance by how many shots I miss between each bird, not how many birds I get between each miss:rolleyes:

Got a cool limit story for you guys. About 8 or 9 years ago we were hunting opening day in SW Kansas and we get to the end of a big CRP field and the weeds were head high. 3 of us push through the weeds and pheasants start flying everywhere. I shot one or two and I turn to my right and ask my buddy how many he got and he says one. I turn to my left and ask my brother in-law how many he got and he says 4!!! I say bull, walk over and he has 4 empty shells from him pump and 4 dead roosters laying in the winter wheat. He shot a limit and never moved his feet!

Got a cool limit story for you guys. About 8 or 9 years ago we were hunting opening day in SW Kansas and we get to the end of a big CRP field and the weeds were head high. 3 of us push through the weeds and pheasants start flying everywhere. I shot one or two and I turn to my right and ask my buddy how many he got and he says one. I turn to my left and ask my brother in-law how many he got and he says 4!!! I say bull, walk over and he has 4 empty shells from him pump and 4 dead roosters laying in the winter wheat. He shot a limit and never moved his feet!

Nice. Have an uncle that tells a similar story about a hunt in Iowa. It involved a combine driving birds to him. Three passes by the combine equaled a limit.

A story that is 180 the the other way. About five years ago (lots of birds days) out around Bucklin a fellow teacher and a guy who use to coach baseball with me who is a very good shot the few times we have hunted together. Will not this day, he was in the middle of CRP field when a phesants flush went off all around him. He shot 5 times the birds got up one at a time with in 10-20 yards all going away. He missed all 5 shots at 8 or more birds. I thought he was going break the gun in half like Bo Jackson use to do after a strike out. My son who this guy loves to put it on had a hay day with this. It was the greatest miss I have ever seen.

A story that is 180 the the other way. About five years ago (lots of birds days) out around Bucklin a fellow teacher and a guy who use to coach baseball with me who is a very good shot the few times we have hunted together. Will not this day, he was in the middle of CRP field when a phesants flush went off all around him. He shot 5 times the birds got up one at a time with in 10-20 yards all going away. He missed all 5 shots at 8 or more birds. I thought he was going break the gun in half like Bo Jackson use to do after a strike out. My son who this guy loves to put it on had a hay day with this. It was the greatest miss I have ever seen.

My dad and I were riding around jumping ponds a few years ago. We see this little pond (no more than 30 feet across) with 5 mallards on it. We say if we can sneak up on them we'll get all 5. We manage to get right to the edge of the pond without spooking the ducks. We raise up, empty both guns and didn't draw a single feather. To this day, we laugh about that fiasco.

My dad and I were riding around jumping ponds a few years ago. We see this little pond (no more than 30 feet across) with 5 mallards on it. We say if we can sneak up on them we'll get all 5. We manage to get right to the edge of the pond without spooking the ducks. We raise up, empty both guns and didn't draw a single feather. To this day, we laugh about that fiasco.

Sometimes I am embarassingly bad at jumping ponds. I think it is because I always wait for them to fly... Guys who are experts at jumping ponds "always get at least one". :eek:

Seriously though, they are always chip shots, and yet I am relieved if I get one and thrilled if I can drop my two. I reguarly blow it and come up empty.:(

I did have a hot SW Kansas streak that lasted almost 3 years. 1 shell for 1 rooster... I guess it probably only amounted to 14-15 birds, but when you shoot like me it's worth bragging about!:D The streak ended on a day of 50+ mph winds, and I even remember the bird like it was yesterday. The bird got up from a pivot corner, grabbed the quartering wind and blew away! It was pointed and everything, but I just couldn't catch up to him. My uncle razzed me properly.:cheers: I missed a couple more that day just to get my money's worth...

I went 1 for 1 this year in SW Kansas, so I guess the streak has started again.:D:D

What's anybody's longest streak on quail? or doves?
:rolleyes: I bet mine isn't longer than 2 or 3 tops. Not long enough to even keep track really.

Before the season's over, I will try to take a limit of canada geese in 3 shells. Should be easy, but I can't ever remember doing it.

Back